Gap between soffit and fascia

TomGriff

I've manually created a roof using roof planes and have noticed a gap between the top surface of the soffit and the bottom edge of the fascia that extends the full length of the roof. I've also noticed several other random occurrences (short sections) of this on other roof planes. Does the fact that I've removed the gutters have anything to do with the gap, or is it a bug in the program? Or maybe just a bug in me? :)

Thanks,

Tom

Home Designer Pro 2017 2016-12-23 08-50-06-234.jpg

That is caused when the rafter depth is greater than the fascia depth. You can correct that in the "Structure Tab" of each existing roof plane or as well in Default Settings - Roof - Structure Tab" but changing the Defaults after the fact of building roofs has no effect on existing roof planes, existing ones must be done one at a time.

DJP

Well, that was interesting. I made a perspective framing overview to see what was going on underneath and found that some of the rafters were randomly taller than others, which seemed to be forcing the soffit down. I reconstructed the roof plane and the random tall rafters went away, but the soffit was still hanging in space, until I followed JoAnn's advice and checked the "Use soffit for ceiling" box in the deck structure menu, and that fixed it. If the box is unchecked, the soffit drops down along this roof, as well as in several locations on the roof above it. Thankfully the random tall rafter issue did not return.

Thanks for all of the help.

Tom

Home Designer Pro 2017 2016-12-23 23-27-00-555.jpg