Suggestions on how to 3D print a terrain

WeebleSue

I have searched the forums but nothing comes up for 3D printing. 

I have modeled a complicated mountainside terrain in my HDA program, and I'd like to be able to get a 3D printed model of it. I know it will not be big, and I know it won't be exact, but I'd like one anyway. Our local library has just announced that they have 3D printers available for public use! I know that they need an .stl file, and that HDA does not export to this format. 

I'm hoping someone out there might have some experience in 3D printing, and might offer some suggestions on how I could get my file converted to the .stl format. I have started investigating 3D print software (I already know about Sketchup), but haven't yet found anything that would import, say, a .dwg file and convert that. 

So, any suggestions?

And yes, I'm hopping over to the "Suggestions for future development" forum to add a 3D printer export option to the program! 

Many thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan, interesting quest. I think you can get the right file format using OnShape, its free after you signup. You would be creating a solid model of your terrain which can be a complicated model but the software has all the tools to do it and I believe it would have the proper 3D output file structure for you to be able to print it.

In HD Pro - you can export a .stl file - a stereolithographic file - File\Export\Export 3D model(stl)  - and most of the 3D printers come with software that allows reading, manipulation and printing of these files.  You have HDA - I don't know if it has the same export ? It might... You need to think about the model part to enable the best 3D printing of the site, object , house or whatever it is you print. It can get time consuming as the 3D print inter install additional support for the parts it prints....it can't print into space without support. My experience is leave out windows, posts and any interior objects, light, beds, etc - otherwise the 3D printer will go into meltdown....

To print a site - make it a hollow shell - not exported as a solid - if you get me?

Good luck - it's great fun using these cheap 3D printers.

I enjoy it.