High 1/4 windows - how to

bcherryholmes

I posted this back in April and the forums have upgraded since then so I don't know if it was answered.

I need to recreate our windows in our house, see photo below, window.jpg. I found the windows but I can't make them face each other. Reflect about object still points them in same direction. See image cant-window.

Thanks in advance,

Bill C.

Home Designer Pro 2012

post-627-0-45894300-1408398068_thumb.jpg

Hi Bill . I did answer it here in April

http://hometalk.homedesignersoftware.com/showthread.php?19454-How-to-flip-a-corner-window-Home-Designer-Pro-2012&highlight=arch+window+flip

but you can very easily make you own with the Arch Tool in the window DBX , set to round top arch and the checkbox for right or left arch...after setting the height and width on the general page eg 24" for both.

>M.

Ha Ha Ha!!!  You da man Mick!!  So while you're so kind to answer, how do I remove the casing? I can create these windows in 3D Studio MAX but Home Designer doesn't seem to like the transparency so it shows as a solid. What is there is attached

God bless buddy!! 

post-627-0-98805800-1408464348_thumb.jpg

you should be able to suppress the casing on the Casing Tab , try making all measurements 0" too on the same tab.

worse case, make the material for the casing "Opening>no material"  and increase the Transparency too 100%  ( no idea why it defaults to 80%)

hope that helps...

M.

Nice Mick!  That worked buddy. So how about the lites? My 2012 Pro messes up when I tell it to add lights in concentric so as you see in the image, no lites.

Also, I have another one for you, if you wish. The entry way. I can't get the arch to go to the wall. See actual and Pro versions attached.

Thanks again Mick!

Bill C

post-627-0-18680900-1408890345_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-11117600-1408890605_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-57602800-1408890613_thumb.jpg

As far as I know concentric only works on full round top windows not on quarter rounds but you could use Angled Soffits at say 3/8 x 3/8 , they are not the most intuitive thing to work with in HD Pro but once you have the 1st one done you can copy / paste and flip around as needed, but I don't have a workaround for the concentric ring if you want it too.

in the plan defaults > Plan try checking the "ignore casing for opening resize box and see if that lets you take the opening to the wall

if you don't want the arches all the way to the floor ,as per the pic ,try a window pass thru instead of a doorway....

there appears to be something out of the post between the Arches too.

M.

post-25-0-83367600-1408898576_thumb.jpg

If you know the final dimensions of the window itself, it may be easier to model the lites in Sketchup or another 3D modeling program and then import that model and place it within the window(s) as desired.  The key is outputting the model in the 3rd party software to a format that Home Designer can import.

Good luck. :)

The window pass-through was right on. My bad for forgetting about that one.

The door suggestion was on the money too, although it does leave a gap on molding. Again, good work Mick!!!

Now here is one: Pocket Windows (see attached). Any suggestion on creating these?

Thanks again!

Bill C.

New Mexico

post-627-0-20321800-1408981456_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-18187600-1408981486_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-26988000-1408981593_thumb.jpg

Did you perhaps move/open the Doorway with no Base slightly too wide ?  ie the base is buried in the wall perhaps?  , little strange cos the Base on the Arched Doorway is missing too. You could move that wall back towards the front door 2" and see what happens , the photo appears to show it this way too ,not flush at the corner. you can turn base off if you don't plan to install any too , I don't see any in the photos. Or turn it off , then back on to get it to regenerate hopefully.

What you call Pockets Windows just look like window seats to me , are they raised on the outside too ?  photo's? plan view how have you drawn these?

M.

Okay use the Box Window tool then , I think 2012 works like Pro10 and you have to use a Elevation view to raise the bottom off the ground. (2015 is easier it   has a DBX for this setting)

We discussed this a month ago in another thread....i'll see if I can find it....

M.

here: https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/250-bow-and-bay-windows/?hl=window

Actually the flooring material on the seat is pretty common ITRW , but if you can't change the material the normal way you have a few choices...

Cabinet Soffit >               change size and material and use to cover/hide the window seat   ( same height, width but make 1/8 thicker)

Slab>                               as above

Custom CounterTop >     as above

M.

Not quite sure what you are asking ?

Are the two photos from the same room ?  on the outside the roof is a gable above the window but inside it appears to be a sloped ceiling ?

should be doable , if what I see is correct ?   make the gable roof, uncheck the ceiling tab in the Room's DBX and then do the ceiling with a custom ceiling plane...

As a followup  to the bay/box window any of the three methods allows you to make the material "wood" even the simpler soffit , ie you can apply any material to any "Object" . I try not to "paint" stuff unless there is no other way , I usually assign the material needed in the Objects Materials Tab if at all possible.

M.