Snags with Landings and Rooflines

GroverJR

I am using Home Designer Suite and have a couple questions/ problems and have attached a sample plan to illustrate.

1. Can you place furniture on a stair landing without adjusting the Floor to Bottom value? In the sample image, item 1 shows two chairs placed "on" a landing. However, chair "a" was raised using the Floor to Bottom value and "b" was not. Another problem is as soon as I place the chairs they "disappear" beneath the landing! Even when I raised chair "a" to be above the landing, in the plan view it is still hidden! The only way I can see it was to make the Landing fill semi-transparent. It is like there is no way to "bring the chair to the front" so it is first selected (unless I haven't found this feature yet)?

2. This stair goes to the second level and although I have no ceiling above the landing, there is a solid wall (item "c") that I don't want there (the "x" area should be gone so you can see down to the landing below). If I make the wall invisible, then the exterior wall to the roof line above disappears (since it is the same wall... this is understandable) as in the second image. But how can I get rid of area "c" so I can view the landing from the second floor without messing up the exterior wall/ roof?

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

post-9134-0-41345500-1476376365_thumb.jpg

post-9134-0-13495900-1476376381_thumb.jpg

SamplePlan.plan

Yes, you can if the Landing sits on the floor, that's not the case here. One chair is set to 40" the other is at 0". You won't see them in plan view

but you can see them in 3d view.

You do realize that wall is what makes the 2nd floor, you get rid of it there's no 2nd floor.

redo the stairs, so that they are not on the wall.

• Downvote 1

About the landing: it makes no sense to me that you can't place objects on a landing automatically. If you walk through the house and take the stairs, the camera "walks" on the landing after all. I guess it is a feature they need to fix and I'll write them the suggestion.

Really, a wall is what makes it a second floor? I thought it was the fact that it is on the second floor. And what do you mean redo the stairs? The stairs are there for a reason and my design has them against the wall of the house. It would be easy enough to build this they way I want, but the program won't do it.

If anyone has any other suggestions, PLEASE let me know and thanks.

Your right you can't automatically place objects on a landing, you have to manually place them. That's why you have a specification box for objects

and fixtures, so that they can be edited.

A easy way to understand the software and to see how it works, is to delete the wall in question and see what happens.

Well, since the wall helps define the room of the second floor, it basically destroys the roof line. The plan was attached to the original post, so you can try this to see what I am talk about.

I just don't think there is anyway to do what I want with the software. It is disappointing since I think it should be something that is possible, but developers don't think of everything...

I can't afford Pro, but I am thinking about upgrading to Architectural version.

I can see about the wedge idea or maybe using polygons somehow. Another weird thing is now the ceilings aren't shown correctly. I've attached a pic from the actual plan.

post-9134-0-85322600-1476464603_thumb.jpg

Reset the 1st floor ceiling heights to their defaults, one is 72" the other is 106". Do the same for the second floor and then lower the ceiling to what you want.

An option you can try is to add a railing to create a room on the 2nd floor and make that open below.

Since the 1st floor wall is gabled, it creates an attic wall, using a full camera, click on the wall (s) at the stairwell and raise it up, you will

see how far up you go.

Is this what you are trying to do?

Make the 'C' wall invisible.  Add one inverted wedge.   Size it to match the lower roof pitch and cover up to the ceiling. Then copy/paste and rotate the 2nd wedge.  Ctrl/drag the 2nd wedge into the 1st wedge (merge).  This makes the interior wall.

Ctrl select both wedges (together) and copy/paste.  Move these together to the outside of the building and give them the siding material.

You also need to expand the stairwell over the 1st floor set of stairs, or you are going to bonk your head.  :blink:

post-63-0-51140800-1476480813_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks Jo Ann, that is sort of what I want (close enough for the sample) but it bothers me I need to do a work around. After all, it won't look right in framing view or help with a materials list, etc. But at least something like this might solve the problem in 3D mode.

I tried using a second floor instead of the landing, but that caused similar problems and even more headaches... maybe i will try it again, but the landing idea was such a simple solution in theory.

Thanks all for the feedback!