Crashing on Macintosh Sierra with Home Designer 2017?

mackymac1984

Go to solution Solved by mackymac1984,

I don't think the current version of Home Designer 2017 has had an update yet to make it compatible with Sierra (I've held off updating to it myself for other reasons).

At any rate, the System Requirements on the article don't have it listed yet.

There's also an article for KB-02940: Troubleshooting Chief Architect Software Closing Unexpectedly on a Mac that has a bunch of information on fixes and contacting the company's Technical Support if you need to.  They're probably better equipped to be able to handle this kind of question anyway than those of us on the forum.

• Upvote 1

Much thanks but I elected to go back to El Capitan by going through these ~ http://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-macos-sierra-back-os-x-el-capitan

Wow - what a drama. All that backward un-backup stuff.....too freaky.

Not necessary but necessary. How time-consuming for you.

I use other software as in conjunction with my HDPro2017 18.3.2.1OSX on an iMac with ElCapitan - luckily for me (if it can viewed as 'luck') I was notified by the software makers of this other software of up-comng issues with OSX Sierra; so, I did not update at the time.

But did however lodge an objection because this compromises the security offered thru the OS upgrade on the Mac.(leaving a vulnerability at hand)

Will be interesting to see if Chief Architect does an update for the OSX issue - prior to the next version of HDPro.

I'm not unhappy to stay with ElCapitan an current HDPro for a while.

Thanks for your post.

According to Technical Support to my request;- 

The next release of Home Designer will Support OSX Sierra for sure. 

However OSX Sierra is still being evaluated for this current release of Home Designer. We are still considering if we will update the current release of Home Designer for OSX Sierra.

The developers haven’t given any time frames as of yet to when/if an update for 2017 products will be available. 

I'm confused, did Home Designer's Technical Support folks tell you to do that, or is it something you decided to do on your own?

I decided to revert back before I heard from Support. They asked me to go through the same article you posted and if "ALL" of those steps failed to send them the Message Log and System Information files even though Sierra is not supported for 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm experiencing some issues. The mouse pointer is very jumpy as soon as I move it to the drawing pane (but fine anywhere else in the user interface, i.e. menu bars etc). Navigation in any camera mode is also very jumpy.

I'm using HD 2017 18.3.2.2 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.1 (new MacBook Pro 2016). Anyone else having similar issues? Any solutions?

Note: same HD version runs very smoothly on lower specs Mac mini late 2012 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2016 at 4:45 AM, Bertrand said:

I'm experiencing some issues. The mouse pointer is very jumpy as soon as I move it to the drawing pane (but fine anywhere else in the user interface, i.e. menu bars etc). Navigation in any camera mode is also very jumpy.

I'm using HD 2017 18.3.2.2 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.1 (new MacBook Pro 2016). Anyone else having similar issues? Any solutions?

Note: same HD version runs very smoothly on lower specs Mac mini late 2012 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

No. Latest update is working fine for me now.

On 9. 12. 2016 at 1:45 PM, Bertrand said:

I have the same issue with the HDPro 2017 trial version on latest Sierra 10.12.3 (also with Interiors trial). CPU usage jumps to about 180-220% when moving the mouse pointer around in the drawing pane (otherwise about 2-7%; quad core 4 GHz i7 on Retina iMac Late 2014). Unfortunately, I don't know if this is normal as I am only trying out the product before buying and have no other Mac/OS X combination to compare.