Dimension problems in HD Pro 2017 Trial Version

FrancesSD

I have downloaded a trial version of HD Pro 2017 to see if it can solve the numerous problems I have encountered with the roofing tool and I must say it is wonderful to be able to get the roofs I want so easily.  However, I seem to have done something to mess up dimensioning; when I first started playing around with the program the dimensions worked the same way they always have in the other iterations I have used, but today I have been unable to get the dimensions to work the way I am used to having them work.  For instance, if I select a wall I would expect to be see a distance to the opposite wall displayed or select the toilet and be able to check the distance from the toilet to the vanity.  Not happening.  HD Pro 2017 seems way more powerful than I need (except for the roofing tools), so I would really like to play around with some of its more advanced features to see how they work. But everything I do is based on measurement, it is how I think, so I really need the dimensions to work.   I have done everything I can think of and can only conclude that I have checked or unchecked or failed to check something critical.  If anyone knows what I've done wrong I would really appreciate your telling me.  Automatic dimensions seem to work, but I use that so seldom that I might not notice a fault.

Software does not "DO" anything, it is a well studied, competent user who does things once they have studied and practiced enough to know where the Default Settings, Preferences and other settings that control the software are.

When you have a problem the data to solve it is in the Help files as Eric pointed out and also in the "Users Guide" (which you should read before touching the software) and for specific technical problems you read sections of the Reference Manual.

Nothing is really intuitive until after you have studied how to use it

DJP