Adding "Fill In" Wall

solver

Notice in the first image the missing wall between the two roof planes.

There are no internal walls, or, no walls that extend to the ground (see image 2).

I've built this structure two ways, first with a short, Open Below second floor, and second by increasing the ceiling height on the middle section.

The second floor version worked, and I was able to shorten the automatically generated walls so they only filled the gap between the two roofs, but this did not seem very clean.

Just raising the ceiling made the most sense, but but the walls are a problem -- either invisible or not. I solved this by changing them to a pony wall where the lower part is invisible and the top is a normal exterior wall sized to fill the gap. There are also a few issues on an interior view. Missing wall finish where the invisible wall butts the exterior wall for example.

So my question, is there a better way.

-- Eric

Define "better" first.

Seriously, you are doing fine,  the software does a lot of things automatically and well but as you have seen, it sometimes leave things for you to do.

In this case it is missing the attic walls, which you merely draw in manually after the fact and adjust their bottom reveals manually.

In many cases the software is facile enough to allow for more than one "right" way to do something so it can become a matter of which route to solution you choose as opposed to "right" or "wrong".

DJP

Have a look in the KB Eric at the Tutorial on Clerestory Windows/Roof , it should help ....not sure if you want windows or not but you'll see what I mean.

there are also a couple of threads where we discussed this too , if not here then in the old forum just before we switched over.

Mick.

Thanks guys. 

DJP -- I was really thinking simpler, instead of better. I worked for various state agencies in Austin, and Capital Metro, back in the 80s and preached to my teams then to find the simplest solution. I still feel that way. I want to easily understand what I did when picking this project up in a few months, or when looking for a reference when doing something similar.

Mick -- I need to start thinking about the big picture. What's this assembly similar to -- like your Clerestory Windows/Roof, where I had been looking at wall info.

The problem with your Roof/building is related to the fact that in HD if a roof plane touches anything it disappears/gets "cut" , the setting "wall cut at bottom" may help with that but depends on the roof/wall drawn it seems to work well.

I tried your methods. and the second storey way was cleaner of the two but using a modified version of the Clerestory KB Tut. was the cleanest ,though I still had to so some manual cleanup of the model afterwards to get the ceiling inside to "draw" nicely with drywall fully wrapped etc.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00492/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Building-a-Clerestory-Roof.html

Instead of one 19" room with no roof/ceiling in the Tut. above , I used two , so I got the "Roof Popup" per your image after setting the middle room height higher .

In the real world I guess that the "walls" would probably be Girder Trusses or a massive beam as they support the whole Roof ..... including the Upper roof.

Someone may have a better way ? perhaps JoAnn ?

I cant add pics today for some reason ,will try again later..... M.