Ceiling structure vs floor structure

rfcomm2k

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Which takes precedence? In the room spec dbx the ceiling structure is set to 9.5" because I want the floor above to be supported by 2x10s. But in the room spec dbx for the room above it I have the floor structure set to 9.5 also.

It appears that they are not additive (otherwise there would be 19" between ceiling below and floor above.

However, I have a problem with the attached plan. If I open the first floor room dbxs for various rooms I get 3 different values for "Absolute elevations floor above".

1. If there is no room above (i.e. the left and right suites) the value is 118 5/8", but for rooms with another room above the value is 119 3/8.

All other parameters are exactly the same.

Where did this extra 3/4" come from? And why?

2. Then there is the Entry and entry closet, where there is no room above, just open space. The "Absolute elevations floor above" value for these two rooms is 111 1/2".

I understand that where there is no room above there is no need for 2x10 ceiling joists. But IMO it makes framing much simpler to keep everything the same size, and 2x6s do not make good floor support.

OK, I think I just answered my own question about #1 above, but I am going to leave this all here for confirmation. Is it the subfloor, which is 3/4" and obviously would not be present in an attic space?

However, this still leaves me wondering about #2. Why are the ceiling and floor heights so radically different from #1? And is this the cause for the anomaly in the entry, where the front wall of the left wing seems to pass thru the entry drywall, just about the closet ceiling height?

One more question. Looking at a camera view from the second floor toward the entry closet on first floor, I see no ceiling structure, even though I specified "ceiling above". What happened to the ceiling that is supposed to be there?

block diagram 4A3a floorplan with landscaping.plan

• Solution

One more question. Looking at a camera view from the second floor toward the entry closet on first floor, I see no ceiling structure, even though I specified "ceiling above". What happened to the ceiling that is supposed to be there?

It's because of the Open Below space above. Place a room divider or invisible wall on the second floor to create a room over the closet. That will get you a floor structure you can modify to become the ceiling structure of the closet below.

I sometimes delete the floor structure in an open below room. Not sure if this would help.

You get variations of finished ceiling height due to variations in floor finish thickness. This and other software is purely mechanical, controlled by settings that you make, fail to make or make wrongly. The software is not capable of judgement, prediction, logic rather it has some automaticities that are often helpful but not always. The main thing you  must grasp is that it is up to you and only you to guide and control the software to a specific result. The software "knows" nothing and "does nothing" other than how it is programmed to work and your specific orders, good or bad.

DJP

Knowing nothing about the requirements or function of this structure makes it difficult to make constructive comments.

Assuming this is drawn with the front door facing south.

Generally too little natural light. Rooms like the dining should be on an outside wall. Resident rooms should have better daylighting, as should the common area. This goes for the 2nd floor too. 

Deck might move to the south side making it usable more days throughout the year.

Office -- It looks to be set up for meeting with the public, so why place it at the back of the private space? There is room downstairs if the closet side of the entry were enlarged a bit. 

Upper floor could be extended over the entry to the front wall bringing in southern light.

Entry needs to be sheltered by a roof structure.

Resident rooms seem ill proportioned, with the bedroom being larger.

I'd rethink the kitchen layout. Is one refrigerator enough?

If the second floor area extended fully over the garage, it could have better windows.

It's because of the Open Below space above. Place a room divider or invisible wall on the second floor to create a room over the closet. That will get you a floor structure you can modify to become the ceiling structure of the closet below.

I sometimes delete the floor structure in an open below room. Not sure if this would help.

Invisible wall helped, but I had to change the room type for the "invisible room" to a closet (or anything besides garage or open space).