Bathroom with partial tile walls

GaveAHoot

I just purchased Home Designer Suite 2017 for Windows. I am in the process of a room by room renovation of a 1965 ranch house, that we will likely live in the the rest of our lives. The master bathroom is slightly less than 4 x 8 feet, so every inch matters. We are staying with a modified, but updated version of the original layout with a toilet, sink, walk-in, alcove shower. I finally managed to show the alcove shower, floor to ceiling tile, and a glass door. Now I want the rest of the room have tile about 36 inches up the wall with sheetrock above it. I cannot make the program do this. Everything looks easy on the expensive versions, but after reading the reference guide and watching countless videos, I am still stuck. The closest I have come is making a floor molding out of tiles and 36 inches tall. Because this is done on the room level, the program also did this "feature" to the glass shower wall and door. Not! Any suggestions? If I go to the up to the next feature level of the software, would it do it? Graph paper? ;)

Thanks all,

Gave-a-Hoot

Like solver said in Suite you have use soffits or a box shape to get the look you want.

Also when you add a material don't use the Room painter tool ® as it paints all the walls in that room, use the Component © or Object painter (O) tool.

You might want to try the chair rail tool, it might help you out.

Thank you all! I had not even thought of using the soffit tool. It worked well and looks great. I will watch the video tonight. Thanks for sharing the link.

I tried chair rails and floor molding with poor results. Both work on a room level. I need to learn how to change my mind set to use the tools for more than the obvious purpose.

Thank you again and I will post some images.

post-8803-0-12235500-1473853672_thumb.jpg

post-8803-0-91378000-1473853775_thumb.jpg

I think the soffit method is simpler and quicker to use, especially if the tile doesn't extend to the ceiling.  A chair rail  (sized smaller and thinner) above the tile, finishes it off nicely.  

The more attention you pay to details, the better the result you will get.

post-63-0-89730800-1473625412_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Jo_Ann. I think I am starting to get the big stuff and now I need to start learning the details. I updated my last post with a couple of images to show my current design version. I will try the chair rails one night this week. I have been reading how to show shower alcoves and that will be my weekend project!

Gave-a-Hoot