Gable perpendicular to gable

russewb

I'm trying to add a small gable to the rear of a house and the roof line is messing up. I'm still not very good with drawing manual roof lines, so when the auto roof doesn't work like I want, I'm usually in trouble. Can someone offer some input as to how I can keep the gable normal-looking on the left, while tying in a smaller gable on the back left to that same wall?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Home Designer Pro 2016

601Final.plan

The main limitation of the dormer tool is that a dormer object cannot form across two roof planes, it has to reside fully within a single roof plane in order to form so, if you want it directly over the front door you will have to create a dormer manually, which is hard to do in terms of your "first time" doing so.

DJP

Study the roof planes. You will find the smaller gable roof intruding into the wall.

It's generally best to get your structure built correctly, then work on the roof.

If you want an open gable, check No Ceiling, and delete, or make invisible the auto generated gable wall.

There is no interior wall directly below the inner gable so the software, being completely mechanical, just does not automatically fill in the missing gable wall. All you need to do is to go to the Attic level (<A>), find the attic wall that is partially  missing and manually draw it so it extends all the way across.

DJP

Or you can go to the 2nd floor and delete the side walls and drag the wall until it connects, that will fill in the hole you have.

However that's not the problem(s) you will have....

When you use the break wall tool on the rail, and you gable it, it will cause more roof problems when you build it.

Delete the side rail on the wall, it's not needed.

To see how the software works,   check auto rebuild and see what happens and then uncheck ignore 2nd floor and see what happens.

To sum it up, you will rebuild the plan.

For the gable entry -- Auto Roofs build over Rooms. Create a room and you will be able to control the roof above.

Are you modeling an existing house, or is this a new design? If existing, posting pictures of it will help us help you.

If new, a description of the structure will help. 

Set correct room types as you go. The front "porch" looks like an undefined room, when it should have a Porch room type.

If this is a 1-1/2 story house, then it needs to be built that way before considering the roof.

For the missing wall in front, it's easy to just drag the wall on the left across, but we don't know what the inside looks like.