deck is not displaying

LeeBur

i am using HD Pro 16 for MAC.  I have tried building a deck with the deck tools, with and without railing, but all that shows is the railing.  I converted to Mac this year from XP.  I remember having this problem with XP and solution was simple, but I cannot remember what I did then as I don't use this program that frequently.

LeeBur,

Your plan had me completely confused, what were you thinking when you built it?

The dining, family and kitchen is a deck, the two door entry is useless as you cant get to the interior of the house.

The second and third floors don't connect to the first floor.

The 3rd floor needs to be rebuilt using exterior walls instead of rails, again what were you thinking?

Extend the perimeter so that it's beyond the trees.

Lower the perimeter by raising terrain height number.

For the landings don't change the defaults

The reason the balcony did not show, was because the wall was a attic wall, which was corrected when you redrew it.

The stairs on the third floor are not needed if there's no fourth floor.

The whole plan needs to be rebuilt. Please pay attention to how it's laid out.

I understand that there are issues, and I have been trying to learn the program as I go along.

Some seem to be created by the program.  This is an old Victorian house with a hip roof where the perimeter wall are half height due to the slope of the roof.  There are dormers on each side.  I redrew the perimeter walls as such because they protruded through the rood.  I don't know why they are defined as railings now.  I am working on an addition to the back of the house to integrate the pool area into the house.  Right now you have to go to the driveway to access the pool.

This is also a 2 family house where part of the second, and all the third are an apartment.  It seems that when I started working on ideas for the back, the family and kitchen area got redefined as a deck.  I am sure that there are mistakes all through the drawing, and I need help correcting them.  I don't know why the floors are not connected.

It a work in progress as I better understand the program.

I learnt Home Designer Pro and then Chief Architect Premier as I modelled my house however you have to be careful not to try to get too much done without learning enough. Otherwise you could end up with a lot of re-work as walls and floors can move around and once some items are manually edited/set they are harder to get correct down the line unless you know the product really well.

I took the approach of learning the basics of walls and rooms and ignoring almost everything else including doors and windows.  That meant I could get core structure correct and once I was happy with than I learnt about doors/windows and roofs and made sure they worked with my walls. I found an issue with the roof generation due to how we construct walls in the UK and how HDP is designed to works with wall layers so I had to edit the layers which moved the walls slightly, but it wasn't hard to fix as my plan was just walls.

Every time I need to do something I don't know about I stop, read the help, look at videos and experiment before working on my plan. This has worked well and now I find I am filling in ever smaller gaps in my knowledge and am so glad I didn't speed ahead hoping to fix it all later. 

There's a lot on you plan and if I were you I would take some time out to learn and then redraw it as that will save time in the long run.

LeeBur,

If you can, upload pictures of the house, the front, rear and both sides.  I already rebuilt the plan, I just don't know what the roof looks like...

I could have fixed the plan if it wasn't locked. Go to edit>preferences>general>file management and check "disable file lock"

Some seem to be created by the program. 

This is not a true statement, only you are responsible for any outcomes good or bad. When you have taken full responsibility for learning the software then you will have fewer problems that only you and your ignorance are causing. Please do not take this personally , all new users do as you have done. You will save yourself a lot of grief to not guess what to do but rather find out what to do and not do so the software then becomes an ally and you become competent with it. Part of the learning curve is finding out what the software can and can't do.

DJP

All said so far is true and taken without malice.  However, where I am now is what I have to deal with.  I can plead my case about lack of time to do things right, but what is the point?

This program has served me well since I bought this house 5 years ago.  We have done much renovation to it.  Although the drawing might not pass mustard technically, it has allowed me to create variations and show ideas to my wife for her approval.

We are now contemplating an addition on the back of the house and pool area (making them flow together) so my 'inaccuracies' with technique are causing some problems.  As we head into the fall, I hope  to 'fix' most of them, with assistance from the forum and continuing my proficiency with HDP, as I have a little more free time.

Here are some pictures of the house.  I will accept all criticism and recommendations.

Thanks. 

post-8737-0-55978300-1473108427_thumb.jpg

I did a You Tube look over video I couldn't fit everything into the video and could not tell just from your posted photographs the following:

1. You did not carefully set Ceiling heights in "Edit Default settings per floor" that is why your initial try's at auto roof generation failed.

2. once you have preset all relevant Default Settings only then would you then start creating (drawing) the house model.

3. Presetting certain walls - roof tabs to guide the roof generator was probably not done or at least not done successfully

You set your defaults, then draw the exterior walls, create the second floor and line up its exterior walls, floor to floor. Then check to make sure all room specification floor and ceiling settings are properly pre set, then all wall-roof tab settings are properly set for the outcome you want, only then would I autobuild roofs. The last step is to check over, evaluate what the auto roof generator did to see what you must then clean up manually.

Roughly that is the sequence of events in creating any structure model. In order to figure out what roof pitches to use you really must climb on the roof and measure them to determine their pitch. Only true, accurate data applied to your model will get you a useable result.

https://youtu.be/Ts-XVGBDmxE

DJP

David, take a look at the roof, it looks to be a combination Hip and what looks like a Mansard.

LeeBur is that true????

I have Suite, so it's going to be tough, with Pro and Premier it shouldn't be problem.

I guessing where it starts and where it ends.

I am not sure how you would characterize it.  Its a hip with a flare near the eves.  The top of the hip use to have a widow walk.  The thing I like about the roof line is the access space all around for utilities.  i have no idea how I would draw it.