Working with multiple variations of a single design

sdominiak

I apologize if this question has already been covered in a different post, but I wasn't able to find anything with my search criteria. I'm working on a design for a finished basement. I would like to make 3-4 different variations of that design (e.g. with the rooms in different locations) so that the family can choose the design they like the best. However, for each design certain things will not change, e.g. foundation, windows, stairs. 

My current plan is to create a plan that serves as the "master plan" with the items that will be the same for each variation. For each variation I would then make a copy and create a new plan. The disadvantage with this is that, if anything in the "master plan" would need to be changed afterwards, I would have to make those changes in all the variations. Is there any more intelligent way to solve this problem?

I've had the same desire to do this same thing - wanting the option to show variations of a remodel.  I even spoke to to technical support about it.  They all said the only way was to save various copies like you and other have mentioned.  Again, I think it is not really the same thing since you would need to make modifications to all copies as you said and also that swapping between versions does not have the same immediate effect.  

You probably don't want to spend the additional amount to upgrade, but I believe you can get more what you want with Chief Architect Premier.  No one seemed to mention this, but with Premier you have the option to create and modify different layers and also create layer sets.  Why not assign different walls to different layers and swap between them using layer sets?  I played around with a trial copy and it seemed to work.

Just an idea.

Marc