Needing help with intersecting roof planes after manual edit

mgianzero

I'm using Home Designer Pro 2017 to remodel my current home.  I have original plans of home which I'm using to re-create my home.  Most of house is complete, but having trouble with roof planes.

When my house roof planes are auto-drawn it comes out like the pic #1 below with a funny overhang above the front door. But I really want the roof to look more like how I had to modify it in pic #2. But the only way I could figure how to do this was to have the roof planes intersect on their own.  

So then when you look from below, you can see how the planes overlap under the eaves.  So how do I merge the intersecting roof planes to eliminate these underlying planes such as seen in pic #3? Or should I had edit the roof planes differently?  

HDP video tutorials don't discuss editing roof planes in this much detail. Also, I couldn't find any answer in the knowledge base. 

Marc

post-7471-0-50364200-1472840053_thumb.jpg

post-7471-0-79270500-1472840061_thumb.jpg

post-7471-0-76110300-1472840074_thumb.jpg

Check out the videos on YouTube linked below. Several good ones on roofs.

Also search YouTube for David Potter videos. He shows many examples.

Those roof planes should join with the Join tool and not have the fascia problems, or just manually edit the roof planes.

--------------

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

The auto roof planes generator first "reads" the ceiling height settings of each room specification dialog, so if you result in varying fascia heights the tool is reading varying ceiling heights, reacting accordingly. So if you are manually repairing this you first must make sure that adjoining roof planes match in their Roof plan Specification dialogs have matching values for " Fascia Top, Baseline height and pitch". When you have achieved in all adjacent roof planes you can then easily join them using the "Join Roof Planes tool". There are several video tutorials on my You Tube site demonstrating the above, look for them.

DJP

The auto roof planes generator first "reads" the ceiling height settings of each room specification dialog, so if you result in varying fascia heights the tool is reading varying ceiling heights, reacting accordingly. So if you are manually repairing this you first must make sure that adjoining roof planes match in their Roof plan Specification dialogs have matching values for " Fascia Top, Baseline height and pitch". When you have achieved in all adjacent roof planes you can then easily join them using the "Join Roof Planes tool". There are several video tutorials on my You Tube site demonstrating the above, look for them.

DJP

David,

I've followed you quite a bit on the forum and you are quite knowledgable and I greatly appreciate your assisting me.  Thank you so much for helping!

In regards to what I am trying to do, I will attach my HDP design plan for you to look at.  I am aware of various ceiling and fascia heights when building the roof plans.  But what I think you are not seeing is that the auto-roof tool is generating 95% of the roof I would like - which is a simple hip roof design.  However, since my home is already built, they customized some roof planes a bit.  They chose to simplify the main roof ridge on the lower section of the home (the single story part) to make one long ridge instead of two staggered ones.  The architect also chose to change the overhang over the front door a bit.  Both of these modifications require a manual edit of roof planes after the roof is auto-built I believe.

I've been able to fix the main roof lower ridgeline.  However the overhang is the problem.  I've gotten the general look from above by merely overlapping two modified roof planes.  But then I don't know how to merge the planes at their intersection.  I know about and have used the "joining roof planes" tool, but I could not find that this applied to fix my situation.  But, perhaps it does and I am just not understanding it fully.

Attached are both my original plans (the way HDP draws the roof) and my modified plans (with roof plan I showed an image of in my prior post).  Please see if you can fix my roof planes, and then tell me how you did it and I would be most appreciative.

Main House.plan

Main House (fixed roof).plan

Here is a short You Tube video of me fixing your plan:

https://youtu.be/Vu4ctdz9enQ

DJP

David,

That video explained it all.  As you can tell, I had to do a bit of editing to get to the point where I did.  However, I'm always uneasy about when and where to use the "break line" tool.  But now that I know exactly where where the roof planes intersected at the overhang, I can see it's easy to find.  That was what I wasn't seeing.  Thank you so much for taking the time to explain things so clearly with a video.

Marc

Your roof will auto build correctly if you create a room by extending the front living room wall across to the bedroom, forming a porch.

Roofs build over rooms.

I just tried what you suggested by drawing in a room divider that connects the living and bedroom and redraw the roof and it comes out PERFECTLY!  Then went back and deleted this room divider.

Awesome suggestion.  Didn't think of fooling the auto-build roof feature like that.