Floating Porch and Stairs

Sunflower127

I'm awfully new to this (a few hours actually) but I've spent most of that trying to solve these problems (see attached screen shot).

- How do I get porch to be solid cement instead of a floating slab?

- Adding stairs created the extra columns where the rails were before I deleted them. How to delete these columns?

- The top tread should be as tall as the porch.

Many thanks!!

No screen image was included. First thing you should do is learn how to use the software you bought (Read the Reference Manual and stop guessing please). What I would do is to turn off newel posts (set them to 1/16" on the newels and balusters tab). Then I would create and align a Terrain Plane to the house. Then I would place columns I wanted manually from the Library Browser. then I would use the click stairs tool which auto calculates how many treads are necessary to bridge from a porch or deck to the terrain plane. Lastly there are two ways to handle the deck or porch: 1. You can go to level zero (foundation) and manually draw stem walls under the front porch or 2. By way of the structure tab of the front porch you can thicken the front porch slab setting to be the thickness you desire. It is all in the Reference Manual sections.

DJP

• Downvote 1

Pardon the attachment not attachingpost-8713-0-07738900-1472769484_thumb.jpg. But I'm reminded why I hate these forums.

I read, I Googled, I You Tubed, I watched tutorials first OK? If I couldn't figure it out after a couple of hours of all that, I posted a question. I thought that's what these were for. Geez.

• Upvote 1

1. As DJP said, draw foundation walls on level 0, below the porch walls.

2. I suspect you 'deleted' the rails by selecting 'no rail' on the railing tab of the wall. Instead, make the wall invisible.

3. Draw a slab in front of the porch, same height as the porch, but sized to look like a stair tread.  Then place the stairs in front of it

You will also need to extend the slab down to meet the ground..