Sliding Window Rail Direction Question

MauiMike

In my existing home's sliding windows, and I would think in every sliding window, the side you slide is always on the inner rail. The non-sliding side is always the side that is closer to the outside of the house and has no rail.

So, why is that when I create a sliding window in Home Designer Suite, say as in the attached picture of a "Left sliding window" (meaning that, as viewed from the inside, the right side of the window slides to the left), you can clearly see in the attached picture that the right side of the window is on the outer rail rather than the inner rail??

Thanks!

post-8264-0-89980200-1472586869_thumb.png

Like most new users you have overlooked "Edit - Default Settings - Windows, Doors, Materials etc etc. If you train yourself to set those Default Settings first before you do a lot of drawing, it saves you a lot of time later. Your software is a mechanical device that you lead to a desired result by settings and using proper, learned procedures.

DJP

• Downvote 1

If it's a left sliding window, then the left side is the part that slides, that's why it's on the interior.

A "left sliding window" indeed means the left part is the part that slides, but that's AS VIEWED FROM THE OUTSIDE (http://www.windowhaven.com/faq/how-slide-direction-windows-and-doors-determined). As viewed from the inside, it's the right side that's supposed to slide and should be on the interior, but the program puts it on the outside. So what am I missing here??

W

Like most new users you have overlooked "Edit - Default Settings - Windows, Doors, Materials etc etc. If you train yourself to set those Default Settings first before you do a lot of drawing, it saves you a lot of time later. Your software is a mechanical device that you lead to a desired result by settings and using proper, learned procedures.

DJP

What do default settings have to do with my question?? A "Left sliding window" means the left part is the part that slides, but that's AS VIEWED FROM THE OUTSIDE (http://www.windowhav...oors-determined). As viewed from the inside, it's the right side that's supposed to slide and should be on the interior, but the program puts it on the outside. So what am I missing here??

Window and door handing is always determined looking at a window from the exterior of the home.

In the software, for a left sliding window, the right part slides to the left.

So why, as in my picture, this Left sliding window has the right part be the part that is closer to the outside (i.e., is not on the sliding inner rail)?

So why, as in my picture, this Left sliding window has the right part be the part that is closer to the outside (i.e., is not on the sliding inner rail)?

Because your image is looking at the window from the INSIDE.

In the software, for a left sliding window, the right part slides to the left -- looking at the window from the outside.

What do default settings have to do with my question?? A "Left sliding window" means the left part is the part that slides, but that's AS VIEWED FROM THE OUTSIDE (http://www.windowhav...oors-determined). As viewed from the inside, it's the right side that's supposed to slide and should be on the interior, but the program puts it on the outside. So what am I missing here??

You can predetermine which sliding window is to be default for any plan by way of Window Defaults - Sliding Window, I do not care what you call it. OR you can simply select the window in plan view and in the Edit Tool Bar for that window you can make it slide in any direction you wish on the fly.

DJP

Because your image is looking at the window from the INSIDE.

In the software, for a left sliding window, the right part slides to the left -- looking at the window from the outside.

So are you saying that even though we all agree that the industry standard lingo is that in a "Left sliding window" the left side slides to the right as viewed from the outside and should therefore be on the inner rail (so it could move), in Home Designer Suite the meaning is the opposite (as evidenced by the right side of the window as viewed from the inside not being on the inner rail)??

I'm suggesting it does not matter what industry standard is, what matters is how the program works. 

I'd be grateful if you could link "industry standards" for windows. 

I personally use Left-Operable to describe this type of window.

I'm suggesting it does not matter what industry standard is, what matters is how the program works. 

I'd be grateful if you could link "industry standards" for windows. 

I personally use Left-Operable to describe this type of window.

The terms OX XO etc. refer to the O as being the non-moving window and the X as the moving window, as viewed from the outside (+ though it doesn't mention the rail, we all know that the moving side is on the rail, and the rail is on the interior):

https://windowguru.wordpress.com/tag/xo-ox-slider-left-right-xox-xoo-oox/

(see Marvin's glossary under OX for the same: http://www.marvin.com/support/glossary)

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old post, but Home Designer Pro 2021 has this same issue.
Home Designer Pro 2021 also places the sliding portion of the window on the outside rather than where it should be, on the inside.  I'm not sure why this wasn't understood.  It's a HUGE annoyance because you can't just flip them as then the Window Schedule is incorrect.  If left as is, this will be an issue in the field and Murphy's Law will take effect.

The triple sliders draw correctly with the window that slides being on the inside track.   XOX

Over 7 years and this is still being discussed?! In Pro 2024, and maybe in all of the them, the call out for a "left sliding window" means that the left side PANEL is the one that slides. as viewed from the exterior as is industry standard. It doesn't have anything to do with the direction it goes, yet logic would tell you that if it's the left panel, then to open it, it would slide to the right, as viewed from the exterior. The sliding panel shows being on the inside 

Panel on the inner most rail will be the active panel. 
In Home Designer Pro 2021 this is considered a left slider, and its label gets 'LS' after the size.

Go to your window supplier and ask them if you would get the image in the picture below if you order an 'LS' window.

image.thumb.png.4d5bb10d6ce4310b473b5932a4efe742.png

Maybe it was change in subsequent releases? In 2024 it is as discussed, with the inner panel being the operable one as viewed from the exterior. Maybe download the trial version and see if it changed, then upgrade to the current version. And you'd likely order them as "OX" or "XO" to keep it in industry terms.