Gable/Roof Line tool changing pitch of adjoining roof planes

AWCdesign

Hello,

I'm very new to HDP.  I have HDP 2017.  I am trying to draw a customer's house that we will be adding an addition to.post-8583-0-93916500-1472164488_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to use the gable/roof line tool to add the gable on the front right side of the house as seen in the photo and the drawing.  The gable roof plane the new gable is going to go into is 8/12.  But the new gable is 12/12. 

When I insert the new gable using the gable/roof line tool, it changes the adjoining gable roof panel pitches to 12/12 also.

How do I keep the new gable from changing the pitch of the other gable roof panels adjoining it?

I have attached pictures of customer house as is, my drawing of house so farpost-8583-0-05032500-1472165232_thumb.jpg, and floor plan of house so farpost-8583-0-72969000-1472165251_thumb.jpg.

If you need more info, let me know.  Thank you very much!

Meg Wheeler

I need to add the double gable on the front right side of the house (or maybe it's called a nested gable---I don't know the term, sorry) at the same pitch as the gable over the garage, as it is seen in the photo of the customers house.

Actually, I figured out how to get the gable roof line tool to work there.  I just put it in at the same pitch as the rest of the house and adjusted and tweaked it so that it would have the 12/12 pitch it needs.

Now I'm trying to figure out how in the world to put the smaller, nested gable in.  It is a gable over a bump out that goes from the 1st floor to the roof line, as seen in the photo of the customer's house.

Do you know how to put that in?  When I put the bump out in, the software just added the attic wall so that it goes all the way up to the upper gable roof line.  How do I get it to let me put in a smaller, lower gable roof over just the bump out? that is nested within the larger, upper gable?  The bump out is only about 1' 3" deep.

Thanks so much!

With Pro, suggest you learn the manual roof tools. You will gain control, and find them to be easier in many cases than trying to auto build the roof. 

There are good videos on YouTube from Chief, and also David Potter.

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)