Exterior Wall Wedge and How to Build It

RandyNavarro

The single story section is the existing home. The 2-story structure is our proposed addition.

Note how we're proposing to tie the shed/gable roof over the existing home in to the side of the 2-story addition. Kind of whacky but the best we've figured so far! The red triangle indicates the problem spot.

post-1072-0-67954400-1471374365_thumb.jpg

In order for me to get this to show in elevation, I had to construct an exterior wall through the middle of an existing room.  This is really a non-load bearing triangle section of exterior wall. 

I know and hope there's a better way!  Any ideas?

8.15.16-Randy.plan

Is your ceiling really so low in the existing house?

attachicon.gifrn 1.jpg

Yup. 60's rambler.  Exterior top plate height is 7'0" I believe.

Lots of unconventional construction for this home. . . unconventional for the software defaults but typical construction for mid-century construction here in the Northwest.

That wall shouldn't be in the middle of the existing room, it should be on the floor above.  Then, as solver says, use the "Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom" setting in the Wall Specification dialog on the Roof panel.

Thanks, again Eric and Kat.

I'm starting to produce a "final" set.  Basically pulling up new file and re-drawing everything hoping that I've learned how to fix all thebugs in my first go-around.  

Not at this triangle/wedge yet but hopefully what you've suggested can work.