Problem with Terrain Meeting Foundation Walls

kevinthomason

Hi,

I have been teaching myself Home Designer Pro 2017 since February and up until now have been able to solve or find work arounds for any issues encountered.  However, I am finding that there are a bunch of contour lines around the foundation of the house and detached garage that are forcing the terrain to the mid-point of the foundation no matter what I try to do.

I have tried to put in specific elevation points, use elevation regions, flatten terrain, etc. All will average out or flatten nearby terrain but it still plunges or rises along the foundation to the mid point of the wall.

I have attached some screen shots below.  Any assistance on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

post-5933-0-19592400-1471151663_thumb.jpg

post-5933-0-11563600-1471151758_thumb.jpg

post-5933-0-82244700-1471151831_thumb.jpg

post-5933-0-82489100-1471151890_thumb.jpg

David, thank you for the fast follow-up.  Unfortunately the plan file is currently 68MB and the upload limit seems to be only 25MB.  I could post it to Dropbox or somewhere else if you have any recommendations.  I have attached a screen capture of the floor plan if that is helpful.  

Thank you!

post-5933-0-38625400-1471220768_thumb.jpg

post-5933-0-02527600-1471220812_thumb.jpg

Good idea.  I have deleted everything inside the house and the file size is down to 12.4MB.  I have attached the file below.  Any help or assistance on these contours dipping down to the basement foundation along the one side of the house and rising up to the windows on the other side of the house would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Contour Issue Plan Aug 14th v2 No Furniture.plan

Indeed, I created a different version of the file to remove all the interior details and the original is still intact in a variety of versions.  Even compressed the original file was still far too large to upload with a 25MB limit.  

Any ideas on what I have done wrong or how to fix the contour line issue would be greatly appreciated.  I can't be the only person that has ever encountered this.

Thanks!

Kevin.

I started a video of fixing your plan but got interrupted by a paying client (sorry). After looking over your terrain elevation data the mistake you made was 1. using terrain elevation points (I NEVER USE THEM, EVER, it is too hard to edit them afterwards and makes editing terrain way too complicated) 2. elevation points off or outside the terrain plane are nothing graphic clutter and only confuse matters.

I would recommend that you delete all elevation points and start over using elevation splines and elevation regions and as few of those as is possible. This makes editing your terrain easier and more manageable. The ideal way to edit terrain is to make a measurement using a camera view usually an elevation camera. Then apply that value change to specific elevation objects, then view that result in isometric camera views to verify its correctness or the lack thereof. Then further slight changes until you get a visual result that is desirable.

This article may be useful to you: https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00718/modeling-a-sloping-terrain-for-a-walk-out-basement.html

DJP

Probably the 1st thing you can do for headache prevention, is to delete ALL of the elevation points.

Open the basic terrain perimeter dbx and uncheck 'flatten pad'.

I got the results shown by using elevation regions, sized and shaped around the structure (pic #1).

They are all set at different elevations.  You will have to play with them, to get whatever desired results you want.

post-63-0-17657900-1471290573_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-00100200-1471290592_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-92045400-1471290606_thumb.jpg

David and Jo_Ann,

Thank you so much for the feedback!  You have given me the guidance, feedback and answers to move forward with a solution.  There is hope!  Sadly, I thought that I was on the right track taking all the elevation points from the land surveyors and painstakingly putting them into the program at the start of the project drawing so that I would have a good foundation to build upon.  It seems that they have messed up the drawing of the foundation instead!

I will delete these terrain points as David suggests and instead use elevation regions in the manner that Jo_Ann has suggested.  The results that you have gotten on my drawing are brilliant!  Thank you - the thumbnails you have attached Jo-Ann are extremely helpful.

I really appreciate both of your help.  I will work on the file tomorrow and keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks again and cheers!

Kevin.