How much space to leave for chimney behind wall?

MauiMike

Look it up on the WWW or perhaps the manufacturer's website. Specifications of various fireplace objects are not held secret.

DJP

When my floor plan is as good as I can make it before giving it to an architect, I'm sure he'll then walk me through choosing chimneys and drafting a 100% accurate plan. But since I'm not an architect, and frankly I don't even know what all the parts of a chimney are called so my google searches in this area come up short, I thought someone who uses this discussion forum would have a general idea of how much space behind the wall of a typical fireplace one typically needs to allocate, so at least my plan will not be way-off.

Thanks.

It depends on the fireplace. A gas fireplace (no wood fires) might be direct vent where you don't need a chimney.

You should do a bit of research on different fireplaces.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures for the other fireplace in the house--same situation. I don't see many people doing it (having a wall protrusion for the chimney flue in room behind room with fireplace, so that the room with the fireplace can avoid any protrusions). Does it seem OK to you? Thanks!

post-8264-0-48222300-1471227703_thumb.jpg

post-8264-0-92234600-1471227703_thumb.jpg

check your regional codes and look up the type of fireplace you are going to be purchasing on the suppliers website for dimensions.  image search will also help with some basic guidelines.  i'm not sure yours has enough clearance for most areas?

post-6675-0-37201800-1471370576_thumb.gif

post-6675-0-04224000-1471370582_thumb.jpg