Building on timber stumps/posts

wiggy777

Hi All

I am very much a newbie, having purchased Home Designer pro a week a go.  Still very much in the learning phase of the program.  This is my first post, so apologies in advance if it is not clear what I am asking.

As a starting point I am trying to replicate a holiday home that we are intending to make some changes to.  The intent is to "build' the current building in Home Designer (exactly how it is today), and then play around with some ideas.

The home is 35 years years old and is actually built on timber stumps/posts as its foundation (very common in Australia in the past).  Essentially, the timber posts are concreted into the ground and protrude approx. a metre above the ground.  They are placed at 2 metre by 2 metre intervals  (think lots of 2 metre squares with posts at each corner)  and the walls and floors are built on top of them.

I have been struggling to find anything in home designer pro to replicate this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Home Designer Pro has no "stump" objects in its library. Posts on the other hand can be emulated using "Geometric Shapes". If you must have specifically "stumps" you might try a "search" at 3D Warehouse to see if anything there might be useful to your project.

DJP

G'day Wiggy,

I'm in Oz also. I know the wish to recreate everything, but sometimes it can be too much trouble or there is no need to.

I used a column from the millwork section of the library to create a heater flue and it would do the same for stumps by resizing, but the program probably wouldn't show the house built on it, but as I say above, do you need to. That said, you would show the stumps in the elevation views and they can easily be drawn in using a box CAD polyline stretched to a rectangle and infilled as required.

I've designed my new house on Pro and the plans are with the building surveyor awaiting the permit. I showed no foundations on my work as the concrete slab had  to engineered and his work takes precedence over mine. Ditto with roof trusses. Similarly I spent no time on framing as the builder looks after that. If you are going to do all the plan preparation yourself it is a good idea to talk to as many of the tradies beforehand as you can. 

Pat