NeatPie

Go to solution Solved by katalyst777,

• Solution

No.

A full list of the operating systems, video card, and other requirements for each version can be located in this online Knowledge Base article.

KB-01095: Home Designer Minimum System Requirements

According to the article, Home Designer 2015 was supported on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 (as well as Mac OS X v10.8), but NOT under Windows 10.

You can try to get it to work, but based on other posts here, lots of people have issues with upgrading their operating system to Windows 10 with hardware not being supported. I encountered an issue with my video card not having drivers to support it on Windows 10.

If the computer is new with Windows 10, you might have better luck, but since the 2015 software still wasn't designed to work with the new Microsoft operating system, then you'll most likely run into problems and the company's support people won't be able to help if its not on a "supported" operating system.

The best choice is to either keep it on the old computer, or upgrade to the new version of Home Designer, depending on how much you use the software.

• Upvote 3

Thank you Kat that is the answer I needed.

I had tried a forum search but the '10' in Windows 10 isn't long enough so it searched everything with the term "windows" which brings up lots of stuff not even related to the PC for this program.

This is a new computer not one that I upgraded to Windows 10 so I'll keep it on my old Windows 7 box for now for running Home Designer and a couple other programs.

Neatpie

Have you tried it?  All you have to do to verify, is deactivate the software on the Windows 7 box and then install the software on the Windows 10 box

Reactivate the software for Windows 10. When it says "Not Supported" that means the the company will not resolve the issue for you.

An example would be Microsoft itself, they no longer support Vista, XP, NT, 2000, 98, 95, and 3.1. however those operating systems still work,

it's just that when things go south Microsoft will not help. It's the same with Homedesigner Products.

• Downvote 1

I understand what you're trying to say but its not a genuine comparison.

Microsoft as the operating system when they make changes old software doesn't work okay in my experience.

Windows 10 was released 2015 so I wished that Home Designer 2015 might have an update to make it suitable.

I have hosed up before trying to make something work that doesn't which is why I am halting to try and asked.

I had tried a forum search but the '10' in Windows 10 isn't long enough so it searched everything with the term "windows" which brings up lots of stuff not even related to the PC for this program.

A tip for the future, you can use standard Boolean searching on the main Home Designer website search box. So, you can search for "Windows 10" (including the quotes) or Windows AND 10 (no quotes but to include both terms) and then on the search results, click on the HomeTalk tab to see just forum results to look over some of the earlier threads with problems people have had with trying to run older Home Designer versions on Windows 10.

Might be worth bearing in mind though that people aren't likely to post if they haven't had an issue, so there might be some people out there, like David, who haven't run into any problems yet running old versions on the newer OS, and you might fall into that lucky camp if you want to give it a shot.

I have installed a lot of old software on Windows 10, 64 bit  (including HD Architectural 10) and have had no problems.  What really surprised me was how well the intel integrated graphics handled the 3d display (better than my old nvidia dedicated card).

The big problem happens with older hardware.  If the manufacturer hasn't offered an updated driver, you are doomed.