Importing skp object into HDP and saving the new object as a door symbol?

KVanWinkle

Hello all,

First I would like to preface my question/problem by thanking you all for your contributions to the forums.  You have answered  many of my questions over the years without knowing it.  am currently using Home Designer Pro 2015..  Yes, it has its limitations but for what I use it for, there hasn't been much I haven't been able to do or make do with. 

To my question; Is there a way to import 3d objects (specifically .skp) into my HD plan and specifically assign it as a door symbol which will allow me to place it into a wall?

Description;  I created a 3D object, (a wood door) using Sketchup make 2016.  Saved it as a .skp file version 8, and imported it into my plan.  I tried importing as a both a skp drag and drop and .skp import from file.  The problem I have is, when I import the skp object I can not assign it as a specific symbol, (ie. door, window, etc.) which intern will not allow me to inset the symbol/object into a wall as it is intended. It is fine as  a stand alone  object.  I believe this may just be a limitation of the HD software.  I hope I am wrong and someone has a solution or work around to get the object to save and place correctly. 

Many thanks in advance.

below is a jpeg of the only dialog box I get upon import the door is the placed object below the dialog box.

post-7938-0-80203400-1467403949_thumb.jpg

...now if only I could get a standard symbol moved to another layer and exported to calibz which is a compressed Sqlite3 database and then see if I comparing to the original one exported will yield where the flag is in the various CLOB fields given CA originated symbols appear to import to different layers. ;)

Seriously though, I've been pondering renting X8 to fix for my numerous imported symbols but not sure if that is hassle for a short time and I would need to do this every six months or so. I wish we had a middle version between the professional and home products but appreciate CA need to keep a number of differences.  

So for now I'll just keep making copies of plans and deleting things before printing or showing plans to builders and other trades.

...now if only I could get a standard symbol moved to another layer and exported to calibz which is a compressed Sqlite3 database and then see if I comparing to the original one exported will yield where the flag is in the various CLOB fields given CA originated symbols appear to import to different layers. ;)

Seriously though, I've been pondering renting X8 to fix for my numerous imported symbols but not sure if that is hassle for a short time and I would need to do this every six months or so. I wish we had a middle version between the professional and home products but appreciate CA need to keep a number of differences.  

So for now I'll just keep making copies of plans and deleting things before printing or showing plans to builders and other trades.

Probably worth it to you to save up for the upgrade, but you might also want to post over on ChiefTalk in Seeking Services.  Maybe someone would be willing to make the changes for you for a smaller fee than the upgrade would cost you.

Probably worth it to you to save up for the upgrade, but you might also want to post over on ChiefTalk in Seeking Services.  Maybe someone would be willing to make the changes for you for a smaller fee than the upgrade would cost you.

I don't need to save - it's whether I'll get enough return on investment as I am only using it for some minor updates to my own home.  I am a software developer hence the comment about modifying symbols as I am always curious to see what file formats applications use.

If I get X8 then I'll also end up renewing/upgrading it each year as well so I am trying to exercise some self control :)