Garden wall with curved top

Smn842

I am trying to replicate the wall as per the image attached and struggling with the curved top (for reference some sections of the wall have thicker sections with the capping stone)

I've tried creating this out of a combination of standard walls, slabs or soffits but the key issue is the curved shaping at the top.  I can curve a soffit and certain objects in the 2D view by using the change line to arc option but how do I do the same vertically as none of the 3D views seem to offer this on the same objects and if they do it doesn't affect the object vertically?

post-5575-0-09501500-1464594974_thumb.jpg

I don't think Pro is capable of this.

It would be sad after modelling a complex house and most of the garden to be finally defeated with HD Pro  :(.  If that's the case I better start a campaign for a "Pro Plus" at around $1K as for home projects $2.7K for premier is really too much.   I could model something in Sketchup but then I would need lots of pre-sized symbols.

Yes, this can be done in HDPro ... in one of a couple different ways.  First and easiest is to model the complex top shape in SketchUp or similar and then import and place atop your wall.  The second and more complicated way would be to use the method I described a few weeks back to another user.  Please see the following thread:  https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2328-sloping-half-wall/

Neither method is 100% perfect, but the quality of your output depends heavily on the time devoted and attention to detail.

Good luck. :)

Thanks Elovia.

The SketchUp approach would be my preference if it wasn't for the issue of all imported shapes ending up on the interior fixtures layer.   I want to be able to toggle some exterior items on and off so it looks like the approach of building the curve out of lots of small pieces it is - this will keep me busy for a while!

Thanks - that works really well given there's not too much curve.  I've found that replacing the two wedges with soffits also makes the material blend fully.

One question - what material did you use for the grey top bricks?   I just tried this quickly and couldn't get the mortar joints correct across the top of the wall and from the side at the same time (one or other but not both)

Thanks Elovia.

The SketchUp approach would be my preference if it wasn't for the issue of all imported shapes ending up on the interior fixtures layer.   I want to be able to toggle some exterior items on and off so it looks like the approach of building the curve out of lots of small pieces it is - this will keep me busy for a while!

You can save yourself time if you have long distances of linear elevation difference ... meaning straight (not necessarily flat) runs.  You only really need to add closely spaced break lines to smooth the curved sections.

For the gray bricks I used : masonry / brick / natural brick / gray2 course brick.

I then had to alter the x/y setting.

For the sloping brick I also changed the 'rotate angle'.

I also had to add a very thin soffit top to the sloped soffit, and alter the x/y setting of that, too.