Cannot import my survey data (.dwg file).

mgianzero

I have a dwg file that I received from a surveryor of my property years ago. The file has both my home's landmark features as well as contour lines. I know it's a good file in that I can import it into other CAD programs such as Sketchup. But when I try to import it using "File->Import Drawing (DXF) ..." the file is non-selectable or greyed-out.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using my Home Designer Pro 2017 (Build 18.2.1.2OSX) for Mac that I just purchased.

Marc

• Upvote 1

I've never tried it with survey data so I don't know what if anything would be lost, but for other CAD stuff that's in the .dwg file format I've used this to convert to a .dxf

http://anydwg.com/dwg-dxf/

Otherwise, post on Seeking Services over in the premier forum and someone there can probably import the .dwg in to a plan and send it to you if they follow these instructions.

KB-00516: Sharing a Plan File With a Home Designer User

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Yes I did.  Apparently one of the limitations to Home Designer Pro is that it only imports / exports to DXF format and not DWG.  So I found a free conversion program that does this for me.  Then when I import the data, I can either import it as is - in which case it merely draws contour lines as an image using CAD lines OR I can specify that that my data is really "elevation data" in the "convert to" column and then my data can be seen in both plan view AND 3D elevation view.

The program I used to convert data was for a Mac.  I'm sure you can find an equivalent option using Windows.

With plot plans, the hard part is making sure that once imported, that the dxf or image file is properly scaled for tracing over. When a .dxf file is imported it must be scaled to 1' = 1' (the native plan view scale of Home Designer and Chief Architect). I was probably scaled to fit a particular piece of printed paper (scaled down to fit), the same is true of scanned images of plot plans which are commonly scaled down to fit a piece of printed paper (1" = 20", 1" = 50' etc.)

DJP