How Do I Change the Floor Structure

mihomedes

How do I change the floor structure? Specifically, I need to change the floor height - the default height is significantly off, and none of my dimensions are fitting together as a result.

The Reference Manual says the floor structure is determined by the Room Type, and to see "Room Defaults", but there's nothing of the sort in Room Defaults.

I'm using Home Designer Architectural 2015, Build 16.4.0.81x64.

The issue happens with any plan.

Thanks for any help - I've been trying to sort this out for three hours and am utterly baffled!

If  your Version of HD has the ability to change the Floor Structure thickness ( some don't )  it is indeed in the Room DBX but is also accessible via the Floor Defaults if you want the setting to be applied Globally ,ie the whole Floor not just the Room in question.

these are From Pro 2015 Trial so should look similar to your DBX 

post-25-0-13149200-1407124503_thumb.png

post-25-0-82768800-1407124513_thumb.png

post-25-0-83237900-1407124526_thumb.png

Architectural, unlike Home Designer Pro does not allow fine adjustment of floor platform thickness. The only adjustments you can make are in the "Ceiling and floor finish" input boxes but you can make such adjustments and thus emulate thicker floor platform thicknesses by altering those values, just not as finely as in HD Pro or Chief Premier.

DJP

Kbird1, DavidJPotter, thanks to both of you for the quick replies. I actually need the floor a bit thinner, so it looks like I've either got a house too tall, or a ceiling too low. With all the other wonderful tools and options in this software, it's disappointing they'd cripple this one rather important dimension in a package they label as having the "Best" level capability for Home Design and Remodeling. But I very much appreciate both you taking the time to respond!

I knew in Suite you couldn't change it but thought perhaps in ARCH you could ...ie it was one of the upgrades from Suite.....I guess not....

For exterior Pics I guess you could set the Room heights lower so it showed correctly on the outside , ie make the floor default  106" instead of 108" to simulate a 2x10 joist rather than the enforced 12" joist.  Interior wise I am not sure if you would notice the 2" difference to much in 3D Views or not?

Mick.

If appearance is what you are looking for, you CAN alter floor thickness in a work-around.  The 1st floor is a standard build with 8' ceiling.  The 2nd floor also has 8' ceiling.

The left 2nd floor is the standard build floor structure.

The right 2nd floor has been separated from the left side with a wall.  This room has been designated as a 'court'.  A court room has a default 4" floor structure.  In this example, I added a 4" floor finish to increase the floor structure thickness to 8".  You can see the difference in the image. 

However, in framing view it will not show any floor joists under the 'court'  room.

post-63-0-55850100-1407197820_thumb.jpg

Hi JoAnn , you might have to explain this technique a bit more please cos I don't get the results you have , using the "Court Room"  , same am missing some step I assume....

Appears to be no difference between a Porch and a Court except a Court has Roof and Ceiling turned off by default , but I used Court as you said too and all that happens for me is that the 1st floor gains the extra 8-9 inches , tried two seperate buildings as well and got the same result.

How are you separating the Rooms to get the Roof / Ceiling to drop , the 2nd floor room is the Court correct?

post-25-0-52827500-1407206944_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-85828800-1407206972_thumb.jpg

Mick,

"A court or courtyard is an enclosed area, often a space enclosed by a building that is open to the sky."

Yes, any room type that uses a 4" floor structure will work (court, porch, slab, garage).

I separated the 2nd floor with a wall.

I think your example is not working because you forgot to recheck all the ceiling heights.  They tend to automatically change, remember?

post-63-0-56468800-1407249072_thumb.jpg

Played some more after checking the ceiling heights , which as you say kept changing , but it wasn't till I added and invisible wall on the Main Floor directly under the upper floor one and using "default floor" did I get your result above .....not sure if it's some difference in Pro and it's ability to change the floor structure height via the DBX or not ?    or I missed an instruction somewhere above ?

Thanks for the Tip  Jo.

Mick