Screened in Porch

DouglasBacon

Hi there. Using HD Pro 15 on a Mac. Trying to create a screened in porch. I've created the room without any trouble, but I can't seem to find screens anywhere. I don't want to put windows in their place, because that's a much different look than what I'm actually going to be doing.

Is it a matter of changing materials? I'm not finding screens anywhere. Or do I take a different approach and construct the walls differently? Pony walls maybe?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Attached is a photo of the room with windows where there will ultimately be screens. post-494-0-30099200-1407000972_thumb.png

The KB article above will do it , I think I know what you are planning , so in the Window's DBX make sure to turn off the Casing ,and Sill ,lintel etc ,so basically you only have the 3/4" frame showing even that can be made thinner , you can also change the material to a wood like Cedar rather than having it painted white.  ( note for Cedar look I actually  use Rustic alder material in the Library )

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Try setting it to Railing , with the checkbox in the Wall DBX and see if it works , you'll probably have to create a railing that works with your window spacings etc though ,you may even lose the windows switching it to railings , so use the Undo Button if needed. 

Save a copy of your plan 1st ,so you can go back , if things go Pear shaped....

M.

Hi Kbird1

Thanks for your help. I figured it out.  This is what I did;

1. used ext wall for porch.

2. changed ext wall into railing, by taping the wall to open  wall specs, open rail style tab and creating railing of my choice. 

3. Place a door on one of the walls, of course it was a doorway by default, change to swinging door and style, also the height as well. 

4. created a screened wall by placing a wall just inside of my now railing.   Do not let it touch the railing or you will loose it.  Click on the wall and create a new wall called "screen wall", changed the thickness to 3/32 so it is easier to handle.  I moved the screen wall to just inside the rail wall.  Do not let it touch or you will loose the rail wall.  I adjusted to screen material to lighter properties. 

In the south we have porches that are screened in because of the bugs. I hope this will help others.

pearlsing    :)