difficulty selecting / changing exterior wall material for dormers

HuskerJack

I installed two dormers on my roof using the build roof - dormer command.  The small amount of siding on the dormers is the default tan color.  I am using red for the remainder of the house on the exterior.  I cannot seem to select the exterior walls of the dormer, it highlights the entire dormer.    

Also, I cannot seem to change the default siding color for exterior walls.  If I go to edit - default settings - walls - edit, it brings up interior and exterior walls but it only allows me to choose the type (such as siding - 6) but it does not allow me to select the default material.

If I go to edit - default settings - materials - edit , it then allows to select interior walls from the long list of items, but not exterior walls.  

running Home designer suite 2017

thank you.

submit trial plan.plan

Dormers have a dialog box like any other object. That dialog box has a "Walls" tab where you can select the type of wall you desire. If you properly set Wall Defaults to the wall type in Edit Default Settings - Wall - Exterior Wall and set the exterior material of the wall in Wall Defaults - Exterior Wall and in Edit Default Settings - Materials - Exterior Wall to the same desired outer layer (exterior siding) then and only then have you done your job properly.

The software is merely a mechanical device that requires your control and guidance in terms of your intended outcome.

DJP

I installed two dormers on my roof using the build roof - dormer command.  The small amount of siding on the dormers is the default tan color.  I am using red for the remainder of the house on the exterior.  I cannot seem to select the exterior walls of the dormer, it highlights the entire dormer.    

Also, I cannot seem to change the default siding color for exterior walls.  If I go to edit - default settings - walls - edit, it brings up interior and exterior walls but it only allows me to choose the type (such as siding - 6) but it does not allow me to select the default material.

If I go to edit - default settings - materials - edit , it then allows to select interior walls from the long list of items, but not exterior walls.  

running Home designer suite 2017

thank you.

That's not how you do that for Dormers, simply click on the Paint can icon,  a dialog box will open, choose the material you want click OK and apply it

to the object. I recommend not using the material definition tool as it's not needed for what you want to do.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

I had the same problem. Took a while trying multiple options. The paint Can Icon is (for me) the easiest and fastest way, to address this requirement, not only for the dormers, but also, applied in a similar way, to the roof. Thank you very much for you help!

Home Designer Suite 2021