Exterior Bay Windows with Foundation Wall

Darren

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Hi All

I'm looking for some guidance on how to create an exterior bay window in a bedroom and placing a window seat/bed, storage underneath and making it a foundational exterior wall

So I can create the bay window to the size I want then make the floor raised to the height required and it appears from inside fine

Swap to an outside view and the wall doesn't extend all the way down to floor level (assuming because of the raised floor) and definitely doesn't go all the way down to the foundation

First off I'm looking for guidance on how to create a bay window that goes all the wall down to the foundation level then I can work on the window bed and storage I imagine?

Darren

post-4550-0-36680600-1461393395_thumb.png

Solver, thanks for the advice - Home Designer Arch 2017 - I'll edit my sig.

What I've done at the moment is to put the bay window at floor level so no seat and then manually added a foundation wall to match underneath and this looks good - I watched your how to do bay windows and was able to adjust the height of the windows all OK.

If I then add the seat (raise floor) I get a gap in the exterior wall as attached, looks like it's smiling from some angles but not the look I'm going for ;)

LawB10, I have automatic foundation off because I have a foundation wall under the concrete porch at the front (so effectively I have one foundation wall with the front wall of the house then another wall at the front of the porch) and if I turn automatic foundations on then it deletes that wall, also unfortunately it doesn't place the foundation wall under the bay window either so quite odd... I think some enhancements in the software might be required to easily cater for these two oddities or I'm just missing how to have the exterior wall different dimensions to the bay window etc

Jo_Ann, please read the question before replying, I talk about the seat/day bed requirement for the bay window but appreciate your time to look and reply.

Thanks all

Darren

post-4550-0-24265700-1461547972_thumb.png

post-4550-0-02798800-1461548624_thumb.png

Hmmm, ok so:

• you broke the wall
  • inserted the three new external wall sections
  • inserted a window in each wall section
  • added a soffit to the floor level of the appropriate type
  • then on top of that you put the slab but I could use the countertop
  • then just make the material a mattress/pillow type material then correct?

Since I already have the bay window in the plan I might set the floor back to zero and just add the soffit and countertop and see how it goes....

Solver, thanks for the advice - Home Designer Arch 2017 - I'll edit my sig.

What I've done at the moment is to put the bay window at floor level so no seat and then manually added a foundation wall to match underneath and this looks good - I watched your how to do bay windows and was able to adjust the height of the windows all OK.

If I then add the seat (raise floor) I get a gap in the exterior wall as attached, looks like it's smiling from some angles but not the look I'm going for ;)

LawB10, I have automatic foundation off because I have a foundation wall under the concrete porch at the front (so effectively I have one foundation wall with the front wall of the house then another wall at the front of the porch) and if I turn automatic foundations on then it deletes that wall, also unfortunately it doesn't place the foundation wall under the bay window either so quite odd... I think some enhancements in the software might be required to easily cater for these two oddities or I'm just missing how to have the exterior wall different dimensions to the bay window etc

Jo_Ann, please read the question before replying, I talk about the seat/day bed requirement for the bay window but appreciate your time to look and reply.

Thanks all

Darren

Darren,

If you would please post your plan, If you use footings it won't build the foundation. If you use a slab it will build the foundation for the Porch.

With Auto Build Foundation OFF it will not build.  I think you taking the wrong approach to the problem.