Roof on Front Porch

SaltyDawg

Go to solution Solved by SaltyDawg,

post-6940-0-97113400-1460654483_thumb.jpgHello,

I am working on a simple 1.5 story cape with a 12/12 roof in Home Designer Architectural 2016 on a Mac and have added a front porch. I have followed several on-line tutorials and for the life of me, I can't figure out the roof over the porch without destroying my main roof line. I want to add a 6 pitch shed roof over the porch.

I am obviously missing something but I can't see it. 

Solver,

Thanks. I added the version to my signature per your suggestion but I did have HD Architectural 2016 in my post. I tried help topics, forum tutorials and YouTube first and they were helpful with many things but I am obviously missing something elemental on the roof addition.

I don't want to integrate the two roofs, just add the porch roof to the gable wall depicted in my attachment.

My expectation was to add a simple shed roof to the porch tied into the gable wall.

Thanks again.

I don't see how that will work with a full width porch -- do you?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to find the best solution.

I'm not sure the program will do this. It's been tried in the past and the software is always confused when a shed roof butts a gable.

• Solution

Thank you all for your assistance. Your help is much appreciated.

Solver,

Shortening the length of the porch is a good idea and I actually like it better.

LawB10,

I will study your file to try and see where I was going wrong. It is very helpful.

David,

Your video was very helpful. I will continue to tweak my plan using your tips.