Two approaches for wall layer set-up and not sure which to proceed with?

Smn842

I started modelling my house as my first use of HDP and due to early problems with inset control for doors adjusted the wall layers to help.

The walls are all a layer of block inside with brick/block outside. There are then many variations of plaster/plasterboard internally and tiling on some external walls.

Due to the door inset issues I ended up with the outer brick/block in the external layer for the wall definition and the inner block work in the main layer. This worked well enough but as I get to the final stages of the shell and roof I realise that a number of issues with wall intersections that take some fiddling are due to having a structural layer in the external layer which the help recommends against.

As a test I've spent some time moving that external brick/block into the main layer so it contains all structural wall parts. This seems to work better for the intersections but I am back to some less than ideal door inset issues.

The question is which to proceed with as changing the main layer takes a lot of correction after.  Overall I prefer my initial approach but I have a feeling that other issues are ahead if I go against the recommendations so would be grateful for any input.

It's difficult to comment without understanding more about your project, but my initial thought would be to make the walls work in the best/easiest way.

As you are discovering, getting the walls correct is important to the entire model.

Unfortunately, the software was developed with typical American construction methods in mind.

The important consideration is that the overall wall thickness matches your home and that the walls, inside and out look similar to your walls. Practically speaking, such walls must match relative to their "Main Layers" matching in such a way that they will properly join one to another and thus dimension properly (if the main layers is improperly set, dimensioning will not work and walls will not then properly join one to another).

Without seeing a copy of your plan, Eric and I can only guess what is right or "wrong".

Just be sure that if something  looks wrong, it will be found that some key setting or element has been missed or misunderstood.

DJP

Thanks - I appreciate it was a very general question.

I didn't post the plans as they don't have any major issues at present and have identical auto dimensions despite using over 20 wall types (house extended several times in the last 40 years)

After a few more hours testing I am going with the recommended approach of the main layer being all structural wall layers.  This makes wall intersections less troublesome to create and maintain as I plan my renovations.   I'll just have to live with the issues that causes with window and door fitting for UK style construction but a few soffits may hide some of the problems.