Is there a way to save several objects as a group (HD Suite 2017)

HuskerJack

Is there a way to permanently group several objects together (such as  many soffits I created to make a Pergola).   I think in Pro there may be a save architectural block tool, but I don't see that in HD suite.    If I do a multiple select and then save to library it saves each individual object separately.   I am thinking something like the "group" tool in Powerpoint or something.  thanks

KB-00191: Creating an Architectural Block

Doesn't look like the article applies to the Suite version.

If you want to upload the plan, I think someone with Pro or Premier could probably create the Architectural Block, add it to the Library, and then export a .calibz and reupload it here.  Not totally sure if you'd be able to unblock it again in Suite though if you wanted to make changes later.

• 5 months later...

Sometimes I really don’t understand some software house companies. The tool for grouping objects is at least the minimal you need when working with objects don’t matter if it’s the trimmed version or the full power version of the software.
I’m software developer too and I know If the tool exists for the pro version then it’s just a parameter on/off during the compilation of the software, meaning they turn it off intentionally for the suite, interiors etc.

Anyway, Can someone do me a favor and group the two wall lights I’ve put together in this plan, then export the object? Thanks.

PS.: This is other thing I’m disappointed with home designer, The lights in the library is for an 19th century house. I live in 2016 with cool fancy LEDs all over the place. Unfortunately I don't know how to import light source from Sketchup like I do for 95% of the furniture I use in my plan.

Double Direction Wall Light.plan

• Upvote 2

Can someone do me a favor and group the two wall lights I’ve put together in this plan, then export the object?

Can't create an Architectural Block out of two lights (even with Pro, not sure about Premier).

I don't know how to import light source from Sketchup like I do for 95% of the furniture I use in my plan.

The Home Designer programs import any third party symbols as an "Interior Fixture."  You'd have to upgrade all the way up to Premier to be able to control importing things as lights and having them actually behave like lights in the software.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with #4 above. I have a 2d graphic program on the iPad that cost a fraction of HD suite which enables grouping of objects that can be moved, or copied and pasted. Crippling minimally essential features to make a less expensive version of a software program is short sighted. Why would you want to make one version of your software program more tedious and time consuming to use than a professional version in order to charge less?  The professional version should contain features that are not necessary for DIY designers and the essential version should have features that make working the product easier not harder just for the sake of punishing the customer for not paying more.

• Upvote 1

I have a 2d graphic program on the iPad that cost a fraction of HD suite which enables grouping of objects that can be moved, or copied and pasted.

You CAN group select objects to move, copy, and paste them in all of the Home Designer programs.

KB-00624: Group Selecting Objects

You just can't permanently group them together as a single unit in some of the less-advanced versions.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I should have clarified that you can temporarily group and move or copy and paste objects. The shortcoming is that you can't save the groupings. For example... a column with attached lighting or a planter with soil and a collection of plants inside. Although this may seem like a minor shortcoming, it becomes tedious especially when there are other objects in the area that get selected unintentionally. I find myself regularly having to deselect layers prior to moving or having to select each object individually. Quite often one of the objects is not included and I have to individually and precisely reposition it. It's just annoying to have to deal with this when other programs make this so easy. And it's even more annoying to know that this capability is crippled in the Suite just for the purpose of making a cheaper version of the product.