Move gable from roof edge to middle?

cte677

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

I believe you upgraded to Pro so you could get your roof done without the workarounds required by the other Home Designer products.

Pro has manual roof tools that you need to learn in order to build your roof.

David has videos on his YouTube channel that will help, and there are also some good ones on the Chief Architect channel.

Learn the tools, then apply what you have learned to your model.

Yes, I did upgrade to get the roof done. 

I have made manual roofs ... works well ... except unsuccessful in accomplishing items described in my first post.

I have viewed David's videos, and some of those on Chief Architect. ... don't see any that apply.

Please advise.  Thanks.

I may not understand what you are trying to do, but it looks like you are wanting to extend the existing roof planes to meet so they form a new gable.

Could you be more specific about what you don't understand -- or what I don't understand -- or both?

post-171-0-43142400-1460391967_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't have Pro 2017 to view your file, so maybe I'm missing something that would be obvious if I saw the plan, but like solver, I'm not sure what you may be missing. Is it with extending the roof planes up? Placing a break to reshape them? Joining them together? Reshaping the roof planes behind? Adding in the gable wall?

Is it similar to KB-00749: Creating a Dutch Hip Roof?

This is a downside to upgrading to Pro 2017.  I'm attaching an Architect version ... hopefully it can be opened. 

One other flaw is the blank area in the roof over the porch (visible from a side view) ... have not succeeded in fixing that.

I am unable to:

1) Move a gable from the roof edge to the roof middle? ... see left half of the jpg attachment.  I can move the roof up, but there is no siding that goes with it.

2) Create a third gable (marked in red)? ... see right half of the jpg attachment.

3) Fix the roof gap over the porch.

House 160412 01 ... 160408 04 architect no interior.plan

Yes, I can open that version of the plan in my Pro 2016.  I think you should be able to open the modified attached plan in your Pro 2017.

If you're trying to create something similar to this (I'm really not sure what you want going on in the middle), then don't think of it like moving the gable wall back.

You need to actually reshape the big roof plane so it won't cut off the attic wall and place the wall manually (like in the dutch roof article).

Reshape/extend the existing roof planes to form the gable (rather than thinking of it as creating a third one using new roof planes).

post-35-0-32062300-1460472950_thumb.jpg

cte677.zip

katalyst777, 

This is close!  The third gable needs to extend forward to the window gable ... as is shown on the right side of the first jpg attachment.

Also, I see the gap over the porch gable is now gone ... great!

Could you describe the sequence to achieve these results?  Thanks!

Can you open the version of the plan I attached?  I set a fill style for each of the roof planes to make it easier to distinguish them and where they overlap.

I don't have step by steps or anything, but I guess what you're asking for a sequence is that I deleted the weird extra roof planes behind the porch in the original plan, then just reshaped the roof planes (extend them out and place breaks to create the shapes shown in my earlier zip), and use Join Roof Planes edit button to join them together.

Manually added in the gable wall following the steps from the article.

If you're still confused, maybe we can see your most recent attempt and figure out where you've gone sideways?

Yes, I am able to open your .plan, and see the colors.  Thanks!

While I have used Architectural for a while, I have used Pro for only a couple of days ... steep learning curve.

Step 1: Delete the weird extra roof planes above the porch.  On the .jpg attached, the left is before ... the right is after.  Did I delete the correct roof planes?

post-6269-0-36705500-1460479284_thumb.jpg

Take a look at this image again.

post-171-0-14763000-1460480331_thumb.jpg

Look at the roof plane that extends up on the right side. Notice how it is continuous from the eave to the ridge.

You don't want to delete the one that was there, you want to extend it upwards. Select it, grab it by its handle at the ridge and pull it up.

Go to the roof plane at the left above the window and do the same.

Do you see how you could join these two roof planes forming a new ridge?

There are plenty of videos showing how to manipulate roof planes. Watch and learn the basics, then apply that to your specific needs.

Yes, I am able to open your .plan, and see the colors. Thanks!

While I have used Architectural for a while, I have used Pro for only a couple of days ... steep learning curve.

Step 1: Delete the weird extra roof planes above the porch. On the .jpg attached, the left is before ... the right is after. Did I delete the correct roof planes?

You don't want to delete the two front roof planes over this area, just the weird little ones behind them.

Also seconding solver's recommendation to look over the videos as well as the rest of the software's Help. Go through the User's Guide tutorial on manual roofs. Look at the Pro Reference Manual on how to use the tools. Check out the videos and articles on the website.  Do the examples in new plans, and once you understand how they work, then return back to your own design. You'll get there, it just takes some time to learn.

KB-00337: Resources for Learning Home Designer

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've read the roof sections in home-designer-suite-2016-users-guide.pdf and home-designer-architectural-2016-reference-manual.pdf.

Unfortunately, I have a deadline ... which adds to the challenge.

I'm close to finishing (house / basement / garage are completed) ... just struggling with some roof tweaks.

I completed step 1 and moved the roof planes ... looks good now.  It took some tweaking to set the location of the back of the gable. 

I locked the pitch at 8 and set the Ridge Top Height to 160.  Perhaps there is an auto feature to accomplish this?

Step 3: Build -> Roof -> Gable/Roof Line ... then connected left of the window gable to the right of the porch gable ... see attachment.  Nothing happens ... must be missing something.

post-6269-0-21099700-1460485413_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I've read the roof sections in home-designer-suite-2016-users-guide.pdf and home-designer-architectural-2016-reference-manual.pdf.

Well that's probably part of the problem right there. Suite and Architectural don't have the manual roof tools. Look at the PRO User's Guide and Reference Manual and the videos that only have a dot in the Pro column for roofs.

I have literally never needed to use the Gable Roof line tool except when I was still on Architectural and needed a gable to start in the middle of a window or door and couldn't just break the wall at that location to mark that wall section as Full Gable.

• Upvote 1

I've read the roof sections in home-designer-suite-2016-users-guide.pdf and home-designer-architectural-2016-reference-manual.pdf.

Read the attached -- those two don't have the manual roof tools.

I locked the pitch at 8 and set the Ridge Top Height to 160.  Perhaps there is an auto feature to accomplish this?

Yes there is, and it's shown in every video on manual roofs -- have you watched any of them?

Step 3: Build -> Roof -> Gable/Roof Line ... then connected left of the window gable to the right of the porch gable ... see attachment.  Nothing happens ... must be missing something.

You don't need the gable/roof line tool.

Here is a good one to start with.

home-designer-pro-2015-users-guide-roof-tutorial.pdf

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the patience and persistence of all ... and the suggestions / links / docs / videos.  The videos clarify a lot!!!

Chief Architect has many docs / videos.  The challenge is to sort through and identify the ones that apply.

And some are difficult to find.  

For example, the video "Advanced Roof Design" posted by Solver ... a search for "advanced roof design" on the Online & Mobile Training Videos does not find this video.

I like this video ... thanks for posting it.

Regardless, thanks to David Jefferson Potter, katalyst777, and Solver!

-------------
Regarding the first question (in the first post), I found a solution.

I had tried Dormer before (Architectural) ... required a room. The garage is one big room ... which was not acceptable to the Dormer feature.

I just realized that Pro has an Auto Floating Dormer. This works. Just need to delete the window and resize.