creating ceiling with holes

chiefuserjenny

Hi there! I am using home designer pro 2016. My question is how can we draw custom ceilings with holes and also different shapes into the ceiling using pro? I saw the webinar for fire and ice kitchen created using chief architect premier,Can I do that using home designer pro?

I do not know what you saw but Pro is Pro and Premier is Premier. Pro has a tool specifically for creating a hole in the floor or ceiling. You just use a closed poly-line tool and then use the "Convert tool" where you can choose what the poly-line will become ( a hole in the ceiling, floor or roof - roof skylight). All of this is fully explained in the Reference Manual (found under "Help")

DJP

• 3 years later...

For those Googling for the answer like I was and finding this old thread, the polygon convert for floor/ceiling holes doesn't seem to be available in Home Designer Pro 2019 or 2020. Perhaps this only works or is available in Chief Architect's professional level products?

Instead, use either railings or invisible walls (room dividers) to create a room, then from the room properties change the room type to "Open Below" or under "Structure" uncheck the box for "Room under this floor". So for a hole in the ceiling, you'd do this from the floor above (or even attic level).

Official guide: https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00210/using-open-below-rooms-to-define-an-opening-to-a-lower-floor.html