Transferring Plans

tiger705

I was on the point of asking the same question because my frustration since upgrading to 2016 has known no bounds and I am thus extremely loathe to upgrade to 2017 and carry the same problem over.  Then I saw this topic.

When I worked in 2014 I found it easier to save my files to a desktop folder ('A' in image) because it took only one click to open them rather than the several it takes when accessing them through the HD link. 

So I thought I would transfer the plans in that folder to a new one ('B' in image) as 2016 drawings so as to avoid all the irritating pop-ups I get saying I need permissions and other such nonsense.   So I tried opening plans in 2016 using the "open with" option and then, using the "save as" option suggested above, saved them to the new desktop folder renaming them at the same time.  However when I click on the plans to open them from the new 2016 folder, they still open in 2014 and I still get the "permission" pop-ups.  I have also tried the "open as administrator" wotsit but nothing seems to work.

I really, really don't know what else to do and this issue is fast making me lose interest in my hobby.

post-52-0-28800200-1460033900_thumb.jpg

Open 2017, open the plan and like solver said save it, the plan is now associated with 2017 instead of 2015.

2017 should have asked " Do you want to associate plans"  or words to that effect.

How can he open a plan in 2017 if that plan isn't yet on the "recently opened" index in 2017?  On all my attempts I have never been asked that question you quote either.  I think I am jinxed.

Sir Keith,

When you open the HD Pro 2016 , click on File, a drop-down box will appear with options.  Click Open plan...the software goes to the directory where

you're .plans are located.

Keep in mind Sir, you may have to tell the software where you're plans are located on the computer.

Keith -- This is my understanding on why you are getting the annoying popups (I get them too).

Lets say you install HD for the first time -- no HD product is already on your system. One thing the installer does is associate the ".plan" file extension with that HD product so when you double click a file with that extension, it opens in the associated HD application. This is standard procedure for programs to do this.

Now you upgrade, and install a newer version. The installer does the same, associating the new version with the ".plan" file extension.

Associating a file extension with a specific program requires special privileges and Windows will ask for them when a program tries to do this.

Now you have 2 versions of HD installed, with the newer one being the default.

You decide to use the older version and when run, it checks to see if it is the default application for ".plan" files. It's not, so it tries to set itself as the default which requires elevated privileges, thus the popup asking you to grant the permission.

This is very bad programming practice. What should happen is the program pops up a message stating "Program is not the default for plan files, do you want to set it as the default (Y/N). It should also provide the option "Don't show this message again".

In your case, each time you use 2014, it sets itself to the default, then you use 2016 and it sets itself to the default. 

I would uninstall 2014 and be done with it.

In short, the location of the plan files has nothing to do with the messages you are getting.

How can he open a plan in 2017 if that plan isn't yet on the "recently opened" index in 2017?  On all my attempts I have never been asked that question you quote either.  I think I am jinxed.

Select Open Plan, navigate to its location and select it. 

"Do you want to associate plans"  is only asked when you install the program.

Open 2017, open the plan and like solver said save it, the plan is now associated with 2017 instead of 2015.

2017 should have asked " Do you want to associate plans"  or words to that effect.

Plans don't get associated with an application, it's the other way around.

HD does have a default plan directory for each version of the product, but you may place your plans anywhere.

Thanks, Eric.  I did think of uninstalling 2014 but was fearful that my plans might go with it such is my understanding of how computers work.  :unsure:

The uninstall procedure should ask if you want to keep (or not delete) your user data (plans), but you might want to make a copy of them, or rename the folder where they are.

• 3 weeks later...