Roof issues - Out of ideas

interplexr

Hello!  I'm new here and hoping for a little help.

I've been working on my home plan and have gotten so close with the roof but can't quite get it finished.  Its basically a gambrel roof but there is an attached garage that runs into it with a gable roof.  I can't get the corner over a covered porch to come out right.  I want the gambrel to end in a wall at the end of my 12/12 pitch before starting a 4/12 pitch with the gable's 12/12 pitch extending over my porch.  I tried to sketch it up along with the original.  Any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks!

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy115/interplexr/Roof%20Issue_zpsxlrl6ulc.png

post-6790-0-69429900-1459819532_thumb.png

When I first saw your post yesterday, I said to myself, " he is out of luck", I hoped maybe someone who uses something other than Pro would chime in with a solution. I have repaired your file as best as I can in Chief X6, you can continue to edit it in Home Designer Suite 2015 but just do not ever rebuild roof planes. The You Tube video is attached as well as the edited file.

https://youtu.be/cvYU2HcQI8w

DJP

ICF - Russ R6 Lodr.plan

The snapshot solver had is exactly what I was trying to do.  I was turning ceilings on and off and doing other things trying to make it work out.  The attached plan with the youtube is pretty close though.  I had create a rough floor plan that I got drawn up as 2x4 stick but since then we decided to build with ICF with a full brick veneer.  I know I don't have the tools to build my own walls for that so I just took the ICF 11" and 13" thick and stuck a white brick exterior on it knowing there is additional width still to go to play around with the dimensions since the ICF bumps out all my walls if I keep my interior dimensions as fixed as I can.  This is why you see multiple materials.  I hadn't gone around and cleaned that up yet.  The more I worked, the more I started trying to see if different tweaks would make it more to our liking before get a new set of plans.  It's tempting to get the full set but for just the one house I'm building it might not be worth it at this point.....

Here's what I come up with using Suite 2016....

I lowered the ceiling heights for room(s) over the Garage to 0"  The attic room by the Porch to -8 1/2"

Resized the Office until aligned with the roof below.

Made both walls with the 4" pitch the same.

Unchecked ignore 2nd floor and unchecked 1st floor full gable wall

Turned off Auto rebuild roofs

Checked Default for 2nd floor ceiling heights 85 3/8"

In Suite you keep Auto Rebuild on until the roof is built to how you want it, then you turn it off.

post-3421-0-37965900-1459961730_thumb.jpgpost-3421-0-87644000-1459961760_thumb.jpgICF - Russ R6 Lodr-1.plan

As LawB10 has shown, you can do this with your program using 'auto build roof'.

I was also able to do it. 

You were on the right track  (manipulating temporary ceiling heights).

Some of the alterations might seem extreme, but once the roof is correct  (and 'auto roof' is turned off),  everything can be set back to it's default, and any extra walls can be deleted.

You can never EVER rebuild the roof again, after the defaults have been reset.