Misbehaving Gable Roof

Omniver

I'm having difficulty getting a gable roof to model correctly over a garage bonus room. The garage juts out below the bonus room and there is a small hip roof that joins the protruding section back against the gable roof (see pictures).  The model is very close, but one corner of the garage the software appears to prioritize the hip roof going all the way to the house center rather than to the nearby wall. 

I know there is likely an easy fix - but after several hours of reading the manuals and trial and error (mostly error), I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.  I've attached the current plan as well.  

Any help appreciated.  

Home Designer Interiors 2017

Build 18.1.0.41OSX

post-6640-0-12904100-1459113296_thumb.jpg

post-6640-0-65301800-1459113344_thumb.jpg

post-6640-0-70502100-1459113354_thumb.jpg

Roof Fix.plan

David,

Thank you for the edits, your time and the commentary.  I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it in HD Interiors; unfortunately there are several other roof modifications I need to make and per your comment, it appears if I attempt to do any of them your X8 edits will be overwritten and I will be back to square one.  

Can HD Architectural help?  I was considering the upgrade to be able to do more on the exterior.  

-J

I agree with Eric, post the plan, perhaps some other person can also help. Upgrading to Architectural is a waste of money IMHO, upgrade to Home Designer Pro or stay with what you have, roof wise, there is little difference between Interiors and Architectural.

DJP

Yikes.   You should recheck your numbers for the floor elevations and ceiling heights in the 1st floor garage/family room area.   Your plan does not look like it matches the real house pics.

You shouldn't draw in ANY interior walls on the 2nd floor, until the entire roof is correctly modeled.  You have also used some incorrect wall types on floor 2.  ALL these mistakes matter. 

If you find that those elevations/ceiling heights need to be changed, fix them in the plan, then repost the plan.

Some good pics of the real house (ALL of the roof showing)  might be beneficial for someone on the forum to better help you.

Hi Jo Ann,

Thanks for looking at the file.  I'll recheck the floor elevations/floor/ceiling heights, but are pretty sure they are correct - there are drops in the floor height for both the family room and garage area.  2nd floor office is same 2nd floor ceiling/floor as the rest of the house; the ceiling in the family room is cathedral and matches the roof pitch.  

Can you please help me understand why 2nd floor interior walls shouldn't be drawn until the roof is modeled?  I'm trying to understand better the effects - I was under the impression that the roof modeling were based on the outside walls and the ceiling heights.  

Also, which are the mentioned incorrect wall types?  Note: some of the walls were auto-generated as part of the roof building process (the interior ones which show externally) - if those are the ones you're referring to, those are artifacts of the roof modeling which so far is problematic and were not added by me.  I've not manually edited them as I hope they will change once the right directives/edits get the roof to model correctly.

Omniver,

Yes, you either undo it or don't save.

Once the roof is set, you uncheck auto rebuild roofs, DO NOT move the exterior walls, now you draw you're interior walls to how you want it.

Too add to what Jo Ann said, take pics of the front, rear and sides, that way helps a-lot.

Thanks LawB10 - I've ended up upgrading to Professional. I still have several areas on the roof to adjust - some interesting layered gables over the left side of the house which I'm fairly certain the 'auto roof' will not accommodate; so getting to the point where "Once the roof is set" already seems beyond the ability of HD Interiors.

David, thanks for the video - was able to reproduce the approach you took without issue in HD Professional.

@LawB10 - Interesting.  Can you help me understand the approach you took?  (I'm truly trying to spend time learning the nuances of the software)

I can see you extended the 2nd floor exterior wall over the garage, replacing what I had done with the interior knee-wall; and split that same extended exterior wall.  Using HD Interiors and doing the same on my model then rebuilding the roof results in a full second floor rather than the full gabled roof in your edited plan.  I note that if I rebuild the roof on your edited plan the same full second floor results occur; so what was it that you did after turning off rebuild roofs that was able to get the full gable roof?

Also, I see you changed several of my 1st floor interior-6 walls to interior-4; was there a specific reason for that?  I did the same to no visible effect.  Note: they actually are thick walls in that area.  

In the end, now that I have Pro, I'll likely do it via editing the roof planes directly, but nonetheless I'd like to understand how you accomplished it without Pro.

Really appreciate all the ideas; this is a great forum.  

Omniver,

With the exception of HD Pro you keep auto rebuild on until the roof is how you want it. IMHO you should have  learned the program you had before upgrading to Pro. Pro and Premier are for folks who do that work for a living, that's why it has more and cost more, If your only doing one or two projects or as a hobby then HD Architectural is highest one should go to.

Like JoAnn said the plan did not match the pics, so I went by the pics. The home is built according to a specific plan, you change it, it can cause more problems for you.

Too your questions:
Can you help me understand the approach you took?  (I'm truly trying to spend time learning the nuances of the software)

I change the "knee wall" into a exterior wall, and extended it.... I broke the wall at the Master bedroom and then I clicked on that same wall and changed the overhang to 30". In Suite to get that room to match the pic I lowered the the ceiling height to 20" for that room only and made some minor adjustments. When finished I unchecked auto rebuild roofs and changed the ceiling height to 96".

For the Family room I lowered the ceiling height to it's default.....looking at the pic that room was not 12' plus at 12' and no ceiling it was to high.

lastly I unchecked full gable wall @the master bedroom.

Also, I see you changed several of my 1st floor interior-6 walls to interior-4; was there a specific reason for that?  I did the same to no visible effect.  Note: they actually are thick walls in that area.

Nope just change them back.

To understand even more go to the original plan with auto rebuild on, lower the ceiling height for the office room only, don't change anything else ans see what happens.

Take a full camera and look at the differences between Davids fix and my fix for the Office and Family room...

The step I didn't think of (nor likely would have) was tricking the software to build a correct roof by setting the ceiling height to an incorrect value, allowing the roof to build, turning off auto-roof, and then putting the ceiling height back to normal.  Following that step I was able to reproduce.  I would have thought that the kneewall would be the more appropriate way.  

Note: the family room is indeed high, about 13' relative to floor at the high point with a 7 1/2" step down.  So yes, it's over 12' high at 12'.  I have to use a 10' step ladder to to change the light bulbs.  

Thanks again. 

Your Welcome,

Now that you have Pro, you don't have to do it that way.

Something else you have to consider is that the ceiling height is with the ceiling for this room checked. If you uncheck it and depending on the pitch

the ceiling will be that much higher. 

To test this put the family room 107 5/8 and check the ceiling for this room box, use the full camera to see what it looks like, uncheck  the box

and you will see the difference.