White Screen and Lockup With Any 3D / Camera Option

kenton00

Hi All,

* Using Home Designer Architectural (HDA), 2017

Whenever I try and generate a 3D view, whether a camera or house / doll perspective, my screen goes white and then the system locks up. It does this no matter how basic the house plan. It even croaks with a house plan that consist of nothing more than four exterior walls (see attached 'test.plan'). Yes, my driver is up-to-date (5/2015), and HDA says it supports OpenGL 3.1; The video card settings are the defaults that HDA supplied. I wasn't having *any* problems until I recently started a new house plan (see next paragraph).

The really weird part is I can go back and open up the plan from the beach-house tutorial I worked through and I have no problems displaying 3D views. WTH?? That's completely bizarre. Anyone got any ideas? It's a real bummer because I started a new house plan after completing the beach-house tutorial but I can't even view it (in 3D), because of this white-screen / lockup problem.

I tried searching the forums this problem / question but didn't see anything posted.

Kenton

test.plan

Ditto here, it is an extremely simple plan that performs on my PC as expected. 

Some of these Knowledge Base Help articles you may find helpful: https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/search/?q=camera+view+problems

You should call Chief Architect Tech Support during their Pacific Time office hours and ask them as well.

There is no doubt in my mind that the problem is resident in your PC, exactly what, I do not know know. What do you have?

DJP

Thirding that the problem is likely your video card.

Is it a real video card with dedicated video memory, or an integrated Intel chipset that is sharing memory with your computer?

There's a section in the following article on adjusting the Render Preferences that you should check out, since you say your driver is already up to date.

KB-00897: Troubleshooting 3D Display Problems - Adjusting Render Options

• Upvote 1

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the timely replies. I wasn't really expecting anyone to follow up. Good to know that there is an active community here. I am a new HDA user (maybe you can tell, :-/), and this was my first post.

Yes, it could well be the video card (actually, integrated HD3000 chipset; Core i3, 6MB mem, Asus laptop). I will install HDA on another system and try viewing the plan on it and see if the 3D views render.

If it is the video card, I have to say, it would leave me somewhat perplexed. How is it that I have no problems displaying 3D views in the beach-house tutorial plan that I just completed, but I cannot display 3D views in the plan that I created subsequently? That doesn't make sense (at all). I'm begin to think that something got corrupted with the HDA installation subsequent to my creating the beach-house tutorial plan.

Thanks for your help.

Kenton

Did you hear back from the company's Support people?

I have the same problem, lock up in taking camera views of new plans but the samples and templates with stuff saved in them seem to come up okay.

Also using an Intel chipset, 2015 driver.

If you look at the link I posted earlier, the end of the article has some information on contacting the company's Technical Support department with Message Log and System Information files and they can probably do more troubleshooting with you based on that data, and then you can post back here with an update. :)

Thank you, I will get in touch with the software support.

In the meantime, I think it has something to do with generating shadows.

On my desktop, which has an NVidia card, the views generate fine with a new plan, but they have shadows already as soon as I create the view with new files, but there's no automatic shadows with the templates and samples.

If I try to do a "Final View with Shadows" in the templates or samples on my laptop that has the Intel chip, it locks up then too.

• 2 weeks later...