Gambrel Knee Wall

Catharsis

I'm having trouble getting these knee walls correct in my gambrel garage plan. Even though they are specified as knee walls, they still go up through the ceiling and roof. The first attached image is an image of the second floor plan and a perspective view of the problem. Also, the ceiling inside of the upper room isn't flat and doesn't meet properly. I have a gambrel truss diagram from a manufacturer that specifies the interior framed dimension to be 14' by 8' 1 7/8" so even though my interior distance is 14' the roof is maybe too low or something, I'm honestly a bit lost here. You can view this issue in the second attached image.

Any advice?

post-6536-0-05103100-1458504446_thumb.png

post-6536-0-99274900-1458505034_thumb.png

The second floor is divided into three "rooms" (areas enclosed with walls). They are all set to have a ceiling height of 108". What this does is to force the side walls through the roof, they are trying to follow your orders which do not fit the geometry of the roof).

I lowered the ceiling heights of the three rooms to 96" and that action seemed to solve the unwanted artifacts through the roof.

DJP

@DavidJPotter Thanks, that solved the first problem. Bringing it down to 97 7/8" worked too and matched my truss plan. Any idea on how to fix the roof to that it obeys my truss dimensions? I'm not sure what is wrong exactly though, it looks like the roof needs to go outward in each direction because it is passing through the attic ceiling, unlike the truss.

@LawB10 That won't work unfortunately as I need to make rooms above my garage.

post-6536-0-21305200-1458508552_thumb.jpg

post-6536-0-90985600-1458508880_thumb.png

On the first floor uncheck the upper pitch and full gable wall.

Uncheck Ignore second floor

Build the Grambrel roof using the second floor.

To get the flat ceiling use a soffit height of 1 1/2" or so.

make adjustments as needed

Not meaning to sound snarky but if you are not a State Licensed Structural Engineer it hardly matters (trusses throughout the USA are by law to be designed by State Licensed Structural Engineers). So anything you draw is purely conceptual relative to structural matters).

You would have to upgrade to Home Designer Pro to attain complete control over roofs and thus trusses (In this software the program fills the void between roof and ceiling structures with a truss object, so total control over those areas would be paramount to accurately portray trusses.

DJP

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's why I wanted to get it right, the trusses were designed by company for a 24' gambrel-roofed garage and to meet snow load specifications and all that business. Since I have to use them, I wanted my model to accurately reflect the final product so that what I see is what I get. Guess I'll go back to Sketchup, seems pretty clear this software has been gimped to make easy money and it succeeded. Thanks for the help though.

Here's the plan with the second floor.

Like David said you will have to upgrade to Pro or Premier to do that.

Suite doesn't have the tools Pro has, so it takes alot of time and effort to get to where you need be.

Since you use Sketchup, make what need and then Import to Suite.

garage3-1.plan

• Upvote 1