dormer display

Vikki_WA

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

you can use the Display options  but its not a one click solution as the is no Dormer Layer

this works on my one level test plan.....

- explode the dormer  , assign all three walls as Attic Walls in the General DBX

( could make them Invisible too but you may lose other invisible walls in plan when you turn them off below)

in Display Options uncheck

- Roof - Overhang area  ( I usually have this off anyway)

- Roof-Openings

- Roof Planes     ( this will remove all roof planes though)

- Roof -Gutters   (if used , I usually have off)

- Walls - Attic      ( or invisible if assigned so above)

M.

I commonly move the main roof plan on which the dormers will rest up a floor and only then place the dormer objects, so they do not clutter up the main floor.

DJP

just note that if you do this the Roof Planes move back down to their default location if you rebuild the roof

edit:   just to clarify only the roof planes will move down again not the Dormers. You can not move Dormer's Up with this trick once built however.

you can use the Display options  but its not a one click solution as the is no Dormer Layer

I checked on this in HDPro 2015, and there is a layer for Auto Dormers in the Display Options.  The same is true in HDPro 10.  Unfortunately, these do not work the same as other display layers.  If you turn off the Auto Dormer layer, you will still see the dormer components (because they are on their respective layers), but you just won't be able to select an unexploded dormer as a selectable object.

I would say, the answer is "no" if you're wanting to hide the dormer completely from view.

When I first read the question, I thought the same as David's answer above ... that you might want to hide the roof planes or move them to a different view.  I've found it helpful at times to consolidate the plan view display of roof planes to a single level, especially when editing planes in conjunction with planes on another house level (e.g., edit 2nd floor roof planes around 1st floor roof planes).

• Solution

I am not sure what the Auto Dormers Layer does , in plan view at least , I had assumed that it didn't work as all checking or unchecking it seems to do is possibly lock the dormer ie if OFF, is seems it does the same as lock button..... so it can't be selected ,  and of course if you explode the Dormer it is no longer an Option in Display Options under Auto Dormer, so you need to turn off displaying all the Dormer's components as above anyway.

Moving the Roof planes up and down is a handy tool I agree , though once my roof is done I turn off there display in Plan view anyway and lock them so I cant accidently change or select them.