Best way to model this fireplace?

DaveTheB

I'm somewhat new to HDPro so, although I'm sure I could make this work, I'd like to learn recommended best practice. I'm trying to model a section of wall with a fireplace. That section has white, painted brick from floor to ceiling. The fireplace is inset near the floor with a mantel above. The hearth is quartz set flush into the hardwood floor.

- I'm wondering if for the brick portion, I should create wall breaks for it, specify a new wall type with brick interior surface, and use that? Then spec the mantel as a shelf (it doesn't have columns)?

- How can I model the hearth? I can see making a "room" with room dividers and then using a different flooring material. I guess it would work but seems conceptual overkill to call it a room. Is there a more appropriate way?

Thanks,

db

Thanks. I'd read through those but none were a perfect fit. Here's what I ended up doing (there's still one open question):

- use the Build->Fireplace tool with a material of white brick. Because the hearth is a different material and the chimney was already drawn on the house exterior, I turned both off.

- created a mantel with the Shelf tool since it's a simple block of cherry.

- I used room dividers to delineate where the hearth is and then changed the flooring material.

- I placed a fireplace screen object that looks similar to my gas insert on the front of the brick, raising it off the floor since the Fireplace tool doesn't permit raised fireboxes.

One remaining issue: on the exterior of the house, there is now white brick showing where it is not covered by the exterior brick chimney. How to deal with that? I can't get HDPro to move the brick inward off that edge of the wall.

Thanks,

db

I attached my plan to this thread: https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2136-how-to-tell-hdpro-that-an-object-is-an-appliance/.

You can see the issue I'm talking about if you do a doll house view then look at the exterior wall of the white brick fireplace, just above the red brick chimney. You'll see two squares of white brick.

Thanks!

db

• 2 weeks later...

@LawB10, in my other thread about appliance placement, you said:

get rid of the poly lines you don't need them

Delete the fireplace from the foundation

raise the terrain pad by lowering the number

Use a pass thru or doorway and place the fireplace on the outside wall, that way it won't show in the master bedroom

Uncheck the No Firebox, raise the fireplace to the height you want it.

Resize the fireplace defaults to what you want.

I'm not sure what you mean by the polylines. Are you referring to my chimney?

Are you on a different tier than I am? I'm on HDPro 2016 and I can't see an option to raise the firebox. Only spec its width and left-to-right offset.

Thanks,

db