Update to 17 issue

Soundscapes

I updated to HDS17 today.  Now in my plan, the dormers drawn with the dormer tool will not allow me to change the material on the face of the dormer.  I can change the gable walls on each side using the eye dropper and paint tool.  If i move the dormer to sit on the wall below, i can change the material too.  Problem i always have when i do that is the ceiling/dormer roof intersection gets messed up.

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Gambrel final 2 bath 2nd floor.plan

Have you set the default exterior wall to what you are using in your plan? Have you opened the dialog box for each dormer and changed the material of the wall using the dormer's material tab? The solution to materials assignments is first setting defaults in Edit-Default Settings-Materials and also Edit-Default Settings- Wall. You will have fewer problems if you set your defaults first and use the materials panter and eye-dropper less.

DJP

I decided to download the trial version of Suite 2017 to be able to view your plan, and other than just manually creating the dormer (which would probably be easier) the only solution I could find was to use the Adjust Material Definition tool in a camera view to change the tan siding to be blended about the same color blue as the rest of the siding.

It's not perfect though because the texture's still just noticeably different enough.

No idea why you can't use the eyedropper/material painter combo to change it, because the eyedropper picks up the material fine, and the status bar shows the tan siding as the "Target" but it doesn't seem to do anything . . . so I'd probably suggest sending in to the company's Support people.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for taking a peek.  I did submit a ticket with Support.  Waiting for a response.  I ended up rebuilding the whole floor using manual dormers so i now have the correct siding on it.  Lesson here is to not be lazy and use the auto dormer tool. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did have to rebuild my dormers.  However, regarding material defaults I finally received a proper explanation of this:

Regarding the "Walls (Exterior)" line item in the Material Defaults dialog, please accept our apologies for the confusion. As you noted, this line item was removed in the 2017 program version - but please be assured that it does NOT represent any loss in functionality. It was, in fact, removed because it gave the impression that it could be used to control default wall materials when this is not the case. If you click the Help button in the Material Defaults dialog, the Help on this topic describes what the Material Defaults can be used for - and I'm afraid that walls are not among the objects that are able to draw their default materials in this manner.