Floating staircase?

airforce12

Depends on which Home Designer software title you have.  And if you intend to pursue building this type of staircase beyond just drawing it in a consumer grade home design software package to satisfy a "what if" moment, you'll need a structural engineer to design it and then tell you how it should be built.

But let's take your question at face value ...

If I were to model it purely for a visual image, I would use either soffits or slabs set at different heights and horizontal offsets.  If I were to model it as an engineer, I would want to know what is behind the wall surface shown in the image, and/or look to see if this is a proprietary system engineered by a company that holds a patent on it.

Good luck. :)

yes , use the Cabinet Soffit Tool and adjust the thickness/width and material as needed spacing each on it's own width and the Riser height higher than the last.

If you have the Transform replicate tool you can copy the 1st one to produce the staircase. not sure you can add a handrail (code)

though....    yes you can as DJP and Elovia said...sloped soffit below...

you can use a normal staircase and make most of the materials Opening(no material) from the Misc. Library however it is not 100% transparent so you tend to see some of it depending on the view but you can get the handrail .

Soffits: post-25-0-21112900-1406168389_thumb.jpg

Staircase with Opening (No Material) post-25-0-62601300-1406168400_thumb.jpg

yes Sloped Soffit of course for handrail :)

post-25-0-53758300-1406168941_thumb.jpg

Vikki I used the Opening -no material in the 2nd pic above as a test but you can still "see" the rail /stringers , the Delete surface tool will remove them , but only temporarily for that one view or you update something , so it isn't as nice a look ( though may not take as long) 

M.

Mick, I have found it neccessary to edit the "Opening no material" to full transparency, don't know why it isn't that way to begin with. I have saved a couple of base templates with all my preferences and always use those when starting a new plan. Any materials that have been edited, as well as my design and program preferences, will be saved with those particular templates so I find it to be a real time saver.

• Upvote 1

Thx again Vikki , been using this software for a number of years and never seen your tip anywhere on setting the Opening -No Material ,transparency to 100% , I have hardly ever used it as you could still see it,  but it works a treat  when Transparency is 100% :)

post-25-0-87477100-1406403571_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-75266700-1406403671_thumb.jpg