Elevation Layout

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

I am trying to send my elevation view to my layout page.  The page size is 11x17 and my elevation is 60' wide so I set the page layout to 1" = 5' so it will be around 12" on the layout.  However it is way to large at 24" wide.  What am I doing wrong here? No matter what scale I select the image on the layout is still 24" wide.  Please look at the screen shots.  The first shows where I set the 1" = 5' scale and the second is where I send it to the layout -- btw I cannot select anything other than "send as an image" which I really don't want to do as the other options are not selectable.  

Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-68399300-1457465868_thumb.pngpost-2501-0-87107500-1457465884_thumb.png

If you only have Current Screen as Image available, I'm guessing you've accidentally switched out of the "Vector" rendering technique in your Cross Section/Elevation view.

Thank you thank you thank you Kat -- you are a lifesaver.  I would never have thought about that even after doing a search in the HDPro help area.

Alan

If you only have Current Screen as Image available, I'm guessing you've accidentally switched out of the "Vector" rendering technique in your Cross Section/Elevation view.

What? I do not understand this comment or its relevance? Could you explain this comment please, cause I am not with you? Thank-you in advance.

What does this have to do with scale?

What? I do not understand this comment or its relevance? Could you explain this comment please, cause I am not with you? Thank-you in advance.

What does this have to do with scale?

Notice that the "Vector View Options" in English's screenshot at the bottom of the Send to Layout dialog are greyed out.

So the program knows he's not in a Vector View, which elevations typically are, and have to be in order for them to be scaled when sent to layout.

If he's not in a Vector View, but he's confident he's in an elevation, and not say a floor plan, then he likely activated different rendering technique, so switching back to Vector and then resending the view to the layout should show the "Vector View Options" available, as well as the "Scaling" settings.

Hope this helps to explain the logic a bit more.  :)

Notice that the "Vector View Options" in English's screenshot at the bottom of the Send to Layout dialog are greyed out.

So the program knows he's not in a Vector View, which elevations typically are, and have to be in order for them to be scaled when sent to layout.

If he's not in a Vector View, but he's confident he's in an elevation, and not say a floor plan, then he likely activated different rendering technique, so switching back to Vector and then resending the view to the layout should show the "Vector View Options" available, as well as the "Scaling" settings.

Hope this helps to explain the logic a bit more.  :)

OK  - thanks for the translation.

I can't repeat this problem to test the situation for future reference?

Scale is one thing - but tho matter re greyed out vector view options only occurs (for me) in 3D camera views?

But you can still insert the image into layout - and slide scale the view as required to fit the page being used.

If the scale won't fit the page - just insert it anyway - and likewise - scale it to fit the page.

Thats what I do.

Anyway....Thanks again.

I needed to have my elevations to scale (on a 11x17 paper it was 1" = 10').  When I tried to send my elevation view to the layout it was too large and would not fit.  In my camera view (elevation) I was not in Vector View so it would not scale properly.

To test this out choose a camera view to get an elevation then go to the 3D tab on the toolbar click on Rendering Techniques and choose something other than Vector View.  Click on Send to Layout and you will see it's not to scale.  In Vector View you can click on Print>Drawing Sheet Setup the you can set the scale you want when you send it to your layout.

Hope this helps.

Alan

OK - I hear you - So is that a scale of 1:10? - I only recall using 1/8"=1' back in dark ages - early 1960's at school here;

We went metric in 1966.

However - that aside,  this is what I do to get a coloured 'scale'-  watercolour image in a layout - well for presentation anyway.

See attached grab from my screen in layout.

I always state on my drawings they are not to be scaled from in any case - so any in-corrections or minor

discrepancies - would be minimal at this scale anyway.

I have also at times contemplated drawing the elevation outline at the correct scale on the layout sheet,

and using this then to guide or reference my required 'watercolour image' scale.

Cheers.

post-2413-0-60323800-1457668553_thumb.png

Yes for site plans the 1" = 10'/20'/50' is quite normal as you are looking at large areas to fit in a drawing.  With elevations it's important to print to scale so you can add say vertical dimensions to identify tops of foundations and heights of ceilings and floors as that is one way or letting the framer know what room heights are.

Not sure if you can scale a watercolor view.

Alan

Alan is right about site plans which use Engineering scales as opposed to other views that use Architectural scales 1/8" = 1' scale etc. though he did not mention "site plan" until his last reply. The point of a layout file is layout your views per page at a readable scale to communicate your design. It is all about clarity and fitting your graphic data so it can be understood by other building professionals.

DJP

Yes for site plans the 1" = 10'/20'/50' is quite normal as you are looking at large areas to fit in a drawing.  With elevations it's important to print to scale so you can add say vertical dimensions to identify tops of foundations and heights of ceilings and floors as that is one way or letting the framer know what room heights are.

Not sure if you can scale a watercolor view.

Alan

The scaled watercolour or similar images on layouts are excellent for scaled and coloured 'presentation drawings' - or very close too a scale of reference.

( Maybe my image attachment on last comment was missed?)

These layouts are not necessarily  intended nor not likely to be handed to the 'framer', or any other tradesperson - unless they have preference in that regard.

Interior designers, Architects and especially clients - seem to like them.

The original question by 'English' - was in regard to getting scaled images I thought.

Cheers.

• Downvote 1