free form lines

duncanator

I purchased the landscape and deck software a few months ago and through lots of trial and error, I finally got the terrain and home to look ok. What I would really like to do is draw a mow strip around an area near the fence, but draw it almost free hand. Is this possible? It seems that it is something that I should be able to do.  Also, I am trying to draw a sidewalk around an air conditioner but after many hours of trying to draw something this simple, I've determined it can't be done.   It just looks weird to have angled sidewalks and patios around a house. Yes, I've watched all the videos but when curving a line, it never works as expected.

Obviously I have no experience with this type of software, but is there a way just to draw a free form line for a lawn border?  Thanks!

I suppose that you have the 2014 version (they discontinued it at that time)?

It is not impossible, just difficult (I opened my copy of L & D 2014 and using the  provided spline sidewalk or spline road tools, I  was able to get some complicated curves and angles created using the "CTRL" or Control key to overcome the default tendency to snap along allowed angles. 

This sort of thing is easier to do in Pro due to the fact that you have more native CAD tools to make that job easier but you CAN do it in what you have.

Impossible is only a barrier you have personally placed there where a little more persistence will get a usable product.

DJP

posting some pics of the issues might help , as I'm uncertain why a pad for an AirConditioner is causing an issue... 

turning snaps off and using the spline sidewalk tool should allow you to draw the mowing strip , though you may need to use the break line and arc  tools to get it h ow you want as it still wont be a free form type line.

Of course it's not impossible, just to me at the moment. I must have purchased the product right before it was discontinued because I think I've only had it since April-May and purchased it from this site.

It is a really nice piece of software for the price so I'm thankful for that, but some things I try to do seem like they should be easier than they are.  Like you said, it might be a limitation of the version. I just need to have plans of my backyard to submit to my HOA.

I have attached a picture of the corner with the fence as well as the area with the air conditioner where I want the sidewalk to go around it.  Also, I am trying to draw a mow strip probably 6 feet in from the fence.

Thanks!

post-480-0-47484800-1406083773_thumb.jpg

yes the new versions came out on May 30th, so looks like you bought not too long before.

is the black line around the corner of the house not the sidewalk ?   do you mean you can't "bump" the side walk out around the AirCon, so you can walk around it?

- The break-line tool should help accomplish that...break the sidewalk 3-4ft either side of the AirCon and drag that part out. 

Break-line doesn't work apparently (tried it)  so just add another sidewalk next to the one drawn , and it will auto join the other straight piece. 

or

-  Put the AirCon on it own Slab ( SlabTool)  and then draw the sidewalk upto and around the slab.

So the mowing strip isn't to be parallel to and straight like the fence ?  a more "organic" shape ? with flowerbeds?

- Spline sidewalk tool is probably the best bet in that case ...it will draw a 3ft wide sidewalk by default I think ,but you can open its DBX and change that to 4 or 6" ? as needed ......

edit: this does work see pic.

post-25-0-53331500-1406104115_thumb.jpg

It's parallel but not straight lines. It will contain bark and some small bushes with a drip line. I think what you did shows me that it could be done. I will play with it some more tonight and try the spline sidewalk tool. Thanks for the tips!

the Garden bed tools uses Mulch as their default material ,but it can be changed either to a different kind/colour , river rock whatever you like/is in the library. (maybe Bonus Libraries too if you haven't already got them?)

but you can add/change the "Material" from the Library to just about anything so you can use Terrain Features/splines and change them to grass or mulch too ( think they default to concrete)

M.