Importing xyz data to Home Designer Arch 2015 for Terrain

hourmezian

Hello,

I have been trying to import my text file converted from a DWG into the arch 2015 software and technicl support tells me I have overlaping points and impossible to import. He tried selling me the Pro version but didnt buy it. CAn some please help me import the terrain/elevation data so I can start desgining my dream home, please. I have the dwg, dxf,and xyz files.

Thank you in advance

I generally do not recommend creating a terrain plane with GPS data from a surveyor, not because the software cannot do this job, it can. But often what is then created cannot be then parsed per unit of time in terms of camera views afterwards. Most Surveyor's use specialized expensive software to create topography objects and they do not model them in 3D but only in 2D for site plans-plot plans. When you add the third dimension the amount of computer power rises exponentially and overwhelms most average PC's ability to create the tens of thousands of 3D faces that can make up a non-symmetric object like a terrain plane.

When you convert basically 2D data into a modulated 3D terrain object it helps to "keep it as simple" as possible so your PC or Mac can then create camera views that can be quickly created and viewed per unit of time ( something so complex that you cannot even look at it is rather worthless).

What I do is import a 2D image of a site plan or topo map, scale it and then trace over its elevation lines usually every ten feet or so and that will produce a terrain object that can be worked with without using all your computing power up just on the terrain.

You will find that a house model with terrain tends to become slower and slower (harder to work on) the more complex it becomes and it is not hard to find the barrier past which your computer cannot go. This is a limitation of your hardware and not a limitation of Home Designer Software, to consistently acquire top performance you must have the limits removed that hardware inherently has by having better hardware.

DJP

David is right about using GPS data , it REALLY slows things down , have a look at this Thread on ChiefTalk from a few months ago , you can post there too , some of the guys there are really good on this stuff.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1113-importing-csv-terrain-data/

If the file was badly converted like Tech Support said you probably need to convert it some other way assuming the Architect setup the DWG properly in the 1st place.