Shed Roof Problems

OddBall1958

Since I'm a NU-BEE I'm going to be asking a lot of questions. First off! I'm using Home Designer Architechtural 2016. So far I've had some great help in the forums with my issues and learning experience. Thanks for your patience and the help.

So here is my dilema! I've been working on the attached plan and has been going along just fine until now. I'm trying to add a shed roof on the second floor where a Master Bath and Closets will be. I've tried following the shed roof tutorials with difficulties. The problem I'm running into is that every time I try these actions the whole roof line changes. How can I accomplish this feat? What am I doing wrong?

Looking at the second floor plan this shed roof would be in the upper right corner from the north outer wall to the stairwell and from the right exterior wall 18' to the left. Also I would like to have the ceiling at the north wall of this shed at 7' sloping up to the existing 8' ceiling. Is this possible?

#4.plan

Did you turn off 'auto build roof' and raise the 'finished ceiling'  after your prior thread?

You CAN use the dormer tool to build a shed dormer with 'auto build roof' turned off.

You can NOT manually build a dormer with 'auto build roof' turned off.

• Upvote 1

First off I should have Titled this Shed Dormer. My appologies for being ignorant.

Am I close? ot 1.jpg   Yes "Solver" that's it! What steps did you take to do it? I followed the "Drawing a shed dormer manually" and that started my problem. It changed the roof line. Should I draw the rooms first then build the dormer?

Hello Jo-Ann Yes I followed your instructions in the prior thread. Ok that's probably where I messed up. I backed up a couple of steps and everything went haywire! Now I'm going to play with it some more. Thanks for the input.

OK! I've added the rooms to the second floor that need the "Shed Dormer"

#4.plan

Remember what I said about rebuilding the roof again, after raising the ceiling?   You needed to lower the ceiling back to where it was when the gables popped up.

Also keep checking the outer porch walls on floor 1, because the program sneakily keeps changing the 'in from baseline' setting.

The dormer room needs to be kept separate from the 2nd floor (use a room divider wall).  The dormer room ceiling should be set to it's finished height, THEN rebuild the roof.

Hi Jo_Ann Here is what I've come up with. What's wrong with this picture? Do I need to put a room divider on both sides of the room to stop the walls on the other side from rising up? Is it possible to put the left wall of the shed (in this pic) on top of the wall below? It doesn't have to but just a thought. I would just like to have my original roof line back. Thanks

post-5735-0-21519400-1455655945_thumb.png

OK Im' not getting this. When I put the wall breaks where you have do I delete that section? Then move the dormer wall forward? When I do this the front dormer wall dissappears How are you drawing the attic walls? I've drawn these just like your pic and they don't appear even if I draw a deck there. Sorry for being ignorant. Do I need to back up afew steps like lower the ceiling again?

Skip the attic walls - they are not a necessity.

Delete your dormer and start over. 

Draw 2 side walls as shown - make them gable walls.

Draw the room divider wall.

Put the 2 wall breaks in - open the wall and set the shed pitch.

Open the 'room',  and set the ceiling height  full height.

Draw the 3 railing walls for the deck.

post-63-0-69484200-1455690942_thumb.jpg