Wrap Around Deck

OddBall1958

I want to build a wrap around covered deck around my entire 30 X 40 house. I want the roof pitch 4 in 12 over this deck while keeping my 12 in 12 over the main structure. I've somewhat accomplished this using the attached porch rules but then the gables go away an leave me with a hip roof over the main structure. How do I keep my gable ends on the main structure above the 4 in 12 roof? I may also want to have a walk out upper deck over the lower deck on one of the gable walls. Is this possible? This is on a one and a half story house. I'm using "Home Designer Architectural 2016"

OK! Let's see if this will help. Let me know if anything is usable as my scanner is not really great.. So in the FLOOR PLAN the left and right sides should be gable ends. As mentioned before this is supposed to be a one and a half story with the second floor basically being an A-Framed sitting on top of the first floor. Thanks for helping.

Perspective View.pdf

#4.plan

Framing View.pdf

Floor Plan.pdf

OK. I watched your video which was some great information but not what I'm looking for. I"m not that far along but I've caught up now. Thanks. If you watch your video you'll see when the deck/porch roof dissappears the gables come back. When you put the roof back the gable ends go to a hip roof above the deck/porch. How do I keep the gable ends and also the roof over the deck/porch? I've built houses of this kind in the past and want to recreate one now.

@OddBall1958

If you are using windows, the Snipping Tool allows you to take screen captures so no need to print and scan.

@DJP

The OP wanted gables on the short sides of the house. I'm not sure this is doable in anything but Pro.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's do-able.
If you have checked "ignore 2nd floor" in the build roof dialog, uncheck it.
Instead, set the 2nd floor "finished ceiling" to 0.
On the 2nd floor,designate the end walls as "gable" and set the eave walls at 12/12.

On floor1, the outer porch walls need to be set using the lower/upper pitch (4, 12).
The "in from baseline" should be set the same as the depth of the porch.

Now, begin raising the second floor ceiling until the gable ends pop up.

Also, don't post pdf's.  Post jpegs.

Thanks Jo_Ann That's what I'm looking for! You are awesome!

And yes I won't post PDF's anymore

Thanks again

PS: Now on one of the gable ends I'm thinking about a door (Which is not a problem) coming out on a deck over the lower porch. Can I turn that section of roof into a deck?

Have you tried?

It's no different than adding a deck, same as you did on floor 1.

Yes Thanks. But how did you have the roof line in front of the upper deck connect. I've made my deck the same depth as the lower deck @ 7' But in front of the deck the lower roof doesn't continue accross as it does on your picture. Here is where I'm at now.

#4.plan

Reduce the depth of your 2nd floor deck, and reconnect the attic wall in front of it.

Also, designating that deck as a 'balcony' seems to make it play nicer with the porch ceiling below it.

With your framing 3d window the 'active' window,  go to your display options and check 'railings'.

When you show a Framing overview that view has its own "Display Options" (There is a separate "Display Options dialog" for each camera type when active and another for plan view). So the reason you cannot see deck and post framing in such a view is because those named layers are un-checked or off in such views, you can while in such a view, turn on or off whatever you choose.

DJP

I don't know why your door framing doesn't show, but in my version it does.

Also, I turned off 'auto rebuild roof', then raised the ceiling and checked 'ceiling over this room'.

As you can see, the program then added the framing for the ceiling.

With this type of plan, NEVER raise the ceiling until you have turned off 'auto rebuild roof', or the whole roof will raise.

NEVER rebuild the roof again after you have raised the ceiling.

post-63-0-02317300-1454879728_thumb.jpg