Adjusting Roof Plane in HDA

howartp

Go to solution Solved by howartp,

Hi,

I've just about finished the exterior design of our new Church in HDA 15, but I can't quite get the roof plane of the extension to line up with the roof plane of the existing build.

On the attached pics, the higher section at the rear is the extension, which on the architects elevation plan matches our existing roof - but on my HDA model it's 12" offset.

I know I can't drag the roof planes in HDA - is there other options somewhere which will move the roof plane in line with the current building, whilst maintaining the pitch?

Peter

post-420-0-82865800-1405626354_thumb.png

post-420-0-88290700-1405626365_thumb.png

post-420-0-10277100-1405626463_thumb.png

You control the height of roof planes by the ceiling height set in the room dialog boxes over which they build: raise the ceiling height raises the roof planes, lower the ceiling height will lower the roof planes during the next "Build Roofs" command. Try it and see, it may take a few attempts to get exactly what you want but that is the route to take.

DJP

I'd like to draw your attention to the south elevation view, and want you to notice that the left wall to the upper gable is taller than the right wall of the same.  If the two roof planes for the upper gable have the same pitch, then basic geometry tells us that the ridge will not be centered between the two outer walls, and the ridge off-center is a consequence of different room heights between the left side set of rooms. Special note:  It looks like you're developing your plan view with the top of your screen being South.

As David suggests, you will want to explore raising and/or lowering the ceiling height of each side of the main building as appropriate to shift your upper gable ridge to the correct location westward.  You'll want to explore either raising the west side of your main building, or lower the east side (or a little of both) to shift the main ridge to the west.  Check with your Architect (or search your plans) to find out the intended wall heights for each side of the main gable.

Hope this doesn't confuse. :)

David is correct about how to alter roof heights but it sounds to me like you are trying to line up the Ridges in plan view not the ceiling/eave heights in elevation but like Elovia I see some problems with the South elevation.

The ridges won't line up if the taller of the 3 extension buildings IS NOT centered on the existing building ( unless you vary wall heights)

and I think what Elovia is seeing is actually the fact that the extension with the double doors is LOWER than the extension on the RH side ( with 2 windows)

not the fact that the main building is taller on the left.  (line up the two roofs/fascia's with the Wall Cross)

The floor plan pic doesn't seem to match the other two views ?  wrong end of the building perhaps?  

ie no double doors on LH side , the 2 windows on the RH side ,  whereas pic 2 has a single door on LH side and 3 windows and 2 roof planes not 3 like in the 3rd pic of the "South Elevation"...

Mick

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

The top of my 2D plan is actually the North elevation; you just can't see the South end of the plan because I zoomed in. I've attached the full plan below.

The area highlighted in red is the existing boundaries of the building; nothing forwards of the pink area is changing except one wall removed to enlarge the foyer, hence the double doors floating in the middle of the wall - we haven't designed the landscape to get steps up to them yet!

The pink area backwards is being redesigned and extended backwards and upwards - the only bit that's staying is the current rear wall running East-West, to save knocking it down and rebuilding it again.  The current roof at the rear is in at least four sections of different heights, so we're scrapping it and rebuilding.

Back on topic, Mick and Elovia are probably on the right track even though they counter each others idea  -  the rear left room is a store room with no false ceiling, which is nominally 13' high; the rear right room has a false ceiling at 8' but the height above it isn't dictated (yet; we're only at rough plans yet) so the walls probably are different heights even though the existing roof lines make you think you're looking at an illusion.

I'll play with the height of the rooms - I'm ok at maths and geometry, I just hadn't put an engineering hat on to work out how the geometry applies to this mode.  

Peter

post-420-0-23400400-1405709684_thumb.png

The ridges won't line up if the taller of the 3 extension buildings IS NOT centered on the existing building ( unless you vary wall heights)

I think what Mick said is true.   Changing the ceiling height might move the roof ridge, but I think the roof  will no longer be symetrical (equal pitch on each side of the ridge).

Here is my thought on the subject.

post-63-0-86221600-1405720145_thumb.jpg