Assertion failed: An unexpected error occurred

scarletto

Go to solution Solved by scarletto,

Assertion failed: An unexpected error occurred. You should use "Save As" to save your current work in a NEW FILE and restart this program.

I have done Save As about a dozen times and the error keeps coming up, but I don't think it's actually a problem with my file, because it only comes up when I open up a Specification dialog box, and there's a big white rectangle in the right of the dialog.

Anyone run across this before?

I've already logged a ticket with Technical Support, but thought I'd post here too.

I see these from time to time. In my own experience, they usually only occur once (not  over and over). Usually the Windows Operating system encounters an apparent exception (an unplanned for occurrence) and once encountered, it does not reoccur. So whatever is wrong with your plan is not fixing itself, submitting it to Tech Support is a good idea due to its unusual nature. I have been using Chief Architect Inc and Home Designer Software since 1995 so what I have said fits my experiences.

DJP

My experience has been to undo what caused the error to appear..   If you "save as"  you're saving the error also..

The error message says to use Save As, so not sure what you mean by that saves the error too?

Thanks Kat, I will check out the article as well.

• Solution

Going through the article Kat linked on this specific error (thank you, btw, I didn't find this in my own search for whatever reason), I think the issue was with my video card.

I updated from operating system from Windows 8 to Windows 10, but it never occurred to me that the driver for my video card wouldn't be compatible and need to be updated separately.

So I followed the instructions from the other article on updating the driver that was linked in the one Kat posted and so far so good!

• Upvote 8

Technical Support basically confirmed that the wording of this error isn't helpful in my case, and that the video card driver being outdated can result in this error.  In my case it was on opening Specification dialog because they show a "preview" of the object (the white rectangle).  I hadn't even made it to trying to create 3D camera views yet but apparently I probably would've gotten the same message with that using the outdated driver.

Going through the article Kat linked, I think the issue was with my video card.

I updated from operating system from Windows 8 to Windows 10, but it never occurred to me that the driver for my video card wouldn't be compatible and need to be updated separately.

So I followed the instructions from the other article on updating the driver that was linked in the one Kat posted and so far so good!

Excellent! I'm glad that worked for you.

I have had this happen probably a dozen times and every time it's triggered by me going in and changing the material definition for an object.  I run a Mac.

Alan

Just because it was a video card driver in my case doesn't mean the same is true for you.

It seems like this is one of those random messages that comes up because something went wrong, but the program doesn't know specifically what, which is why there's so much to do for troubleshooting in the article.

If you go through that article, there's also link to another different article with troubleshooting steps that only apply to the Mac, so you may want to go back through that and see if anything it lists helps you.

If nothing there works, it doesn't hurt to contact the software techs.

Did it word? I didn't think you could update a video card driver on the Mac and it was all just rolled in to OS updates?

So far I haven't had the issue but time will tell.  To update the driver on a Mac go to the video card website (in my case nVidia) and select your card from the drop down lists and click on Download for the Mac version.  I got the 1/25/16 version.

Alan

For some reason I had it in my head that skipping the OS update and going directly to the video card manufacturer would void the Mac warranty. Maybe they've changed that in more recent years?

Not at all -- I never heard of that.  I have all the Apple updates yet my video card driver was way out of date so I'm not sure Apple updates it with their updates.

Alan

• 8 months later...
On 2/1/2016 at 8:35 PM, scarletto said:

Assertion failed: An unexpected error occurred. You should use "Save As" to save your current work in a NEW FILE and restart this program.

I have done Save As about a dozen times and the error keeps coming up, but I don't think it's actually a problem with my file, because it only comes up when I open up a Specification dialog box, and there's a big white rectangle in the right of the dialog.

Anyone run across this before?

I've already logged a ticket with Technical Support, but thought I'd post here too.

Hi,

I've had the same "Assertion failed" and since I was not able to find any solution, I thought posting mine - maybe it helps someone.

What caused the error: I was running low on disk space on the system partition, and I suppose that when I closed chief architech some files were corrupted.

What I've tried:

-first I tried the "repair" option , restarted, same issue

-uninstalled and manually removed all registry references to the program (because just uninstalling leaves a lot of debris behind) ; restart laptop / then re-install; still no luck

-tried to search over internet for a solution with no clear or final answer;

-did a backup of my "Chief Architect Premier X6 Data" from c:\Users\your_user_folder_name\Documents\  ; take special care to backup your "Archives" sub-folder

-removed the whole "Chief Architect Premier X6 Data" and started again the program with no error this time.

-recovered the subfolders in "Chief Architect Premier X6 Data" , one by one, and restarted each time the program to see what was causing the error

In the end I found out that the file "c:\Users\your_folder\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X6 Data\Toolbars\libraryItems.tbdata" was the corrupted one.

You don't have to follow all my steps, and can safely remove the mentioned file  (you can create back it up before if you really want) as it will be auto-re-created when you close the program. 

So the short solution should be: remove "c:\Users\your_folder\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X6 Data\Toolbars\libraryItems.tbdata" file, and restart chief architect.

• 2 months later...

I recently upgraded to the PRO. I had tried the program and it worked fine until I paid for it. After validating it, I received an ugly warning that would not allow the program to open.
Details: C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\18\chief\source\ChiefQtApplication.cpp(182): Warning #272000999
" Assertion failed: A serious error occurred (catch). Use "Save As" to save your current work in a new file. Please contact Chief Architect Technical Support with steps to reproduce. "
2/14/2017 6:26:53 AM
Build: 18.3.2.2x64
Please help. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2017 at 6:29 AM, Nekho123 said:

All useless information here.

Did you actually go through the article I linked?  Not only are there a bunch of troubleshooting steps, but it also explains if they all fail how to get the files that the company's actual Tech Support people need to be able to troubleshoot further when you contact them.  That's definitely NOT "useless."