Stepped attic truss & foundation cut

PLANsLLC123

HDP'ers,

I am designing a detached garage/shop with an RV carport alongside.  The owner wants living space above, using an attic truss.

Since I am new to HDR I have two challenges; 1) producing a dual level second floor and 2) how to get a curb-cut in the entrance to the RV parking.

I have attached work and plans thus far. 

If anyone on this blog can help with suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tim

B2 ATTIC TRUSS PROFILE.pdf

Cross-section question.pdf

Garage-Shop Footprint.pdf

ISO w-two questions.pdf

I'd start by starting over. 

You want the garage slab to be at 0, not some negative number.

I imagine the RV bay does not need the curb all around it, so it will need some different foundation settings. You could simply edit the foundation walls in an elevation view. Select one and drag the top down.

For the gable walls over the beam -- those walls are building as a result of the walls below. Walls don't understand the beam, so you will need to draw in your own attic wall.

The horizontal lines are showing the ceiling. Raise the ceiling and they will mostly go away.

post-171-0-18078400-1454289825_thumb.jpg

Thank you Eric.

Are you suggesting I scrap the drawing?  If so, that's not what I wanted to hear...but good feedback none-the-less.

The owner specified ten foot ceilings in the garage.  So I need to figure another way around those lines...?

I appreciate the direction and very quick response.

Tim

Just think of that one as practice. You should be able to draw it again quickly since it's a small simple model.

The program works best when the platforms (floors and ceilings) are set up correctly from the start.

As for the lines (second floor ceiling), you might try turning off the Ceiling Plane layer. Raise the ceiling, or turn off Ceiling Over This Room.

Eric, or anybody-

It was mentioned above to set my garage slab to be at 0.  Now I have a naïve question, how do I do that?

I started my plan, identified the space as a Garage, then opened the Room Specifications dialog box.  I tried setting Floor (D) (which was at -26 1/8") to 0.  When I do this, the slab lifts above the top of the stem wall...

The setting for "Floor Finish (K)" is at 0...is that the appropriate setting to have at zero?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Tim

Here is a plan that shows how I might start. The floor is at 0", so everything goes up, or down, from there. 

I'm sure you will need to adjust the foundation to meet your requirements, but you will see the idea.

It would really be best to set your defaults so this or something similar is the result. You could then rebuild the foundation at any time and not need to reset things afterword.

tim 1.plan

Floor Finish is a thickness, so in a garage it's normally 0".

Thank you.

These various idiosyncrasies are sure helpful to know...like the fact the program does not recognize beams etc.

I have figured some of these things out, but it is good to have them confirmed.

You, and this forum, will be a valuable resource as I start my new business venture.

Tim